03 cobra fan problems

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Hey guys,newbie here, I have been folowing the forum for sometime now. Up until now,all of my ?s have been answered in previous posts. Saturday I was sitting in the driveway playing with a new toy for the Cobra,a predator programmer, all of a sudden without warning a very nasty noise started up under the hood,I jumped out popped the hood and the cooling fan was making some gawd aweful racket,turned the engine off to inspect,was expecting to see a missing blade with how bad it was vibrating,but nothing missing or cracked,no visual problems at all,this car only has 15000 miles on her,It stays in the garage and is pampered like a newborn,lmao ok-ok-ok I cant lie,I have been known to stick this size 12 up its butt every now and then but I see no reason for this failure. Has anyone else witnessed this?? :shrug:

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
No fan clutch

these cars have a 2 speed electric fan on them. I think the front bushing may have walked out on it,at any rate,does anyone build and aftermarket radiator and fan for these 03-04 cobras

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
CobraBob said:
I'm not familiar with the fan setup other than knowing it is electronic, but can't you just order a new fan assembly from Ford? Or are you just wanting an aftermarket radiator? If you are looking for a new radiator, check LFP. http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/catalog/productDetails.php?productID=1192
Yes,I can get a neww assy from ford and I also found them on Ebay,but in the near future the car will be getting some major hp upgrades and I just wanted to get a better radiator ,I will be building a custom fan shroud with 2 fans instead of one.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Was the fan hitting the shroud or radiator itself?
No evidence of the radiator being hit It just vibrates like mad and sounds like it is hitting the shround,It seems to have a major imbalance problem but I dont see any pices missing.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Check for freeplay in the bearings of the motor. That has to be it. If nothing is missing, and it's vibrating and hitting the shroud, that about has to be it.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
This has happened to many of us. Mine burned up and quit one day on the way home. You need a new fan.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
mine just took a dump on me today.... joy $205 for a new ford one. i tell you its always something. either im upgrading it or spending money on it because of some little bs part.

just cant win sometimes

03SVTSnakeBite

Sick Snake
Established Member
I got mine replaced for free from the Dealer i bought it from. Does anyone know if i can take those vents under the hood off or not

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I got mine replaced for free from the Dealer i bought it from. Does anyone know if i can take those vents under the hood off or not

u must have an extended warranty cuz that sob is way out of its 3yr/36k warranty

its not a hard job. took me about 15 mins to remove it and that was with the car still HOT. ill get my new one ordered and delivered monday at work.

or i could get a used one for $100 bucks.... im not one for used parts but just a thought

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Does anyone know if i can take those vents under the hood off or not
From underside of hood, they push out of the top. If you still have your hood liner, or haven't cut out around the vents, you'll need to remove it first. I use a trim removal tool which looks like a scrapper with a notch cut in it and the til is slightly angled.
>>Harbor Frieght<<

Evo 2 Cobra

Established Member
May be a stupid question but.... will your cooling fan taking a dump on you cause your car to overheat?:shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread