Vaccum method to bleed air out of Cobra??

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
OK I have been haveing overheating problems for a year now with my cobra. seems My dealer has been useing a vaccum system of some kind to bleed my cooling stystem on the cobra. Has anyone else heard of this or may this be the reason for my troubles. the mechanic said he uses the vaccum and it sucks all the air out of the system. I have had people post the steps they use for bleeding and I don't recall a pump of any kind being used. inputs please?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Ive never used a pump and have never had any problems.

When you pull the plug off the crossover tube is it full of coolant? If not you likely have air in the system.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
dealerships have the big bucks and therefore the state-of-the-art vacuum fluid exchange equipment...

that is the best way to do it as it automatically removes all air and exhanges all fluid

the bleeding system you see on this board is the manual method

if the car keeps overheating the dealership should be able to tell you why. can they tell you anything?

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
the dealership can not tell me why. I have been fighting this battle for over a year. everything has been changed out includeing the engine for this problem
they thought it was a bad motor because they could not find the problem. Me and a few others on this site are leaning toward the expansion tank being bad it is the only thing that hasn't been changed out.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
03nightmare said:
the dealership can not tell me why. I have been fighting this battle for over a year. everything has been changed out includeing the engine for this problem
they thought it was a bad motor because they could not find the problem. Me and a few others on this site are leaning toward the expansion tank being bad it is the only thing that hasn't been changed out.
Did they ever pressure test the system? Not sure if its doable on the cobras but if it is I would think it would have identified if there was a leak in the expansion tank.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
hey if ford already changed out a $15k engine for you, might as well do a $40 expansion tank...

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
As Vertiblemenace said the dealer's really must have the vacuum systems. They don't have the time to fill and heat cycle, refill/heat cycle over and over like we do. There was one other thing you mentiioned the other day that you have the expansion tank full to the top. I like to see mine maybe 7/8 full so there is some room for expansion. If you are full to the top at the crossover tube and full to the top in the tank there's no room to expand and I think it will vent even if all the air is out.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Have you ever taken the Expansion Tank off and looked under it?

Here is why I'm asking. My Expansion Tank got bloated up and expanded on the bottom for some reason and it was pushing down on the Radiator Fan Shroud enough to slow the Radiator Fan down as well as wear a 4" Long X 1/2" Wide hole in the Plastic Shroud where the edge of the Fan was rubbing against it.

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
evans03c said:
As Vertiblemenace said the dealer's really must have the vacuum systems. They don't have the time to fill and heat cycle, refill/heat cycle over and over like we do. There was one other thing you mentiioned the other day that you have the expansion tank full to the top. I like to see mine maybe 7/8 full so there is some room for expansion. If you are full to the top at the crossover tube and full to the top in the tank there's no room to expand and I think it will vent even if all the air is out.

the expansion tank was full to the top the rest of the cooling system was empty.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Hey Brad, try taking the plug out at the crossover tube near the SC, with the care running and warmed up, the fluid should be flowing at the crossover, if not fill it at the crossover opening. If your expansion tank is ful and the opening at the crossover is dry, then you have air in the system. The best way is to fil it at that spot with it warmed up. Of course, don't remove it when it's hot, you should start with the car cooled down. I have had nothing but problems every time I went to Hamiltons. I have gone to Rich Ford in ABQ little ways away) but they are great. I blew my rear end out with the car modded, and they replaced it under warrenty with no questions asked. They did great work, even fixed my over 70 vibration problem.

James

MY DREAM

Established Member
Brad,
try this out, wont take to long to do it and it will ensure that your system is air free:

Ford Thermostat Bleeding Procedure.

1.) Check all hose clamps for correct tightness. Make sure the radiator drain-c.o.c.k is closed.
2.) Remove the coolant bottle cap and fill the degas bottle to the add coolant line.
Install the cap.
CAUTION: Do not fill the cooling system through the reservoir only (coolant will not enter the engine), only the reservoir and the radiator will be filled and engine overheating will occur.
Remove the fill plug in the crossover tube on top of the engine.
3.) Using a funnel, add coolant to the crossover port, keeping the level of coolant in the funnel at 1/4 full.
4.) Squeeze the 2 large upper cooling system hoses 5 times. Bubbles may appear in the funnel as air exits the system.
5.) Start the engine and run for 5 minutes while monitoring the coolant in the funnel.
A sudden drop in the funnel level indicates the elimination of air in the system.
6.) Shut off the engine and let it cool for 10 minutes.
7.) Crack open the degas bottle cap enough to allow the coolant level in the funnel to drop to within 1 inch of the bottom of the funnel.
Tighten the cap.
8.) Remove the funnel and install the fill plug in the crossover tube.
9.) Add coolant in the degas bottle to the full coolant line.

Repeat the fill procedure if necessary.

This should help you out. I think that the system may have air in it. I hate Hamilton Big Country Ford!!! Sorry, I had to get that out thier.

James

DocB

Established Member
Since you are having severe problems, you may want to try this. It is not normally necessary, but may help you.

After step #2 above, jack up the left (drivers) side of the car and proceed with the steps outlined above.

It will REALLY raise the cross over plug fill hole and will tilt the engine enough to get all the possibly trapped bubbles out.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
when you say overheating,,is this water spitting out or just running hot????

does the car have a heatercore hooked up...i had a tiny crack in mine...my radiator is oringinal and it springs a leak every now and than, that steam will come out..like the degas bottle issues...i have used the powered type sealer and it stops these issues when i get them.

ive also had issues with lower hose at tstat...after engine was out for head work i had trouble getting hose to seal with oem clamps..after a couple of hot cycles the leak stopped

i also had a stupid issue on last engine work..the connector to fan wasnt all the way clicked in..this was causing my fan to stop working...it would work 4 cycles than stop.and car would overheat spitting water out..

any other issues i had were in engine/caused by engine
best advice i got is start over with engine as dry as you can..have 4gallons ready..

big dad

Established Member
When I was still wrenching I bought the evacuation kit you guys are referring to. I got mine from Snap-On but they're available from Mac or Cornwell also.
They come with all the necessary adapters for different cooling systems.

If you have a mod motor this is the way to go. If you put the system under vacuum it should hold at about 25hg., if not you have a leak somewhere. It also works for the intercooler system. You use compressed air to put the system under vacuum.

This tool will work with all cooling systems, and saves alot of time and mess.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
How much do these systems cost?
I realize that Snap-On is probably the most expensive.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Has the above procedure worked for anyone? :shrug:

You have got to be kidding me!:nonono::dw:

You bumped a 5 year old thread to ask if anyone has used the FORD BUMP/FILL PROCEDURE?!?!???

Please read or re-read the rules immediately!

Of course that procedure has been used, it's from Ford! The burp fill proceedure is also listed in the FAQ which is in the faq sticky.

Users who are viewing this thread