Cobra gas tank install on a GT?

Invictus

Banned
I'm about to put a cobra gas tank with dual pumps on the mustang and it currently has a mustang GT tank on it with the single pump. I was wondering if you guys knew what I will need to complete the swap as far as the wiring goes? I doubt it will just plug right up, right? Besides that, is there anything else I should lookout for?

Any help appreciated thanks!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
It's a pretty straight forward swap. It's been a few years since I did mine, but I don't think there was any rewiring to do.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was just a direct plug and play. I'll look around on my computer and see if I have any pics of the install. Meanwhile, I would post this over in the "Mustang" section, you'll probably get more attention there.

Last edited:

Invictus

Banned
The cobra tank has two pumps though so isn't there two different connectors? Or is it somehow linked to one connector? I don't want to take it off in the middle of my driveway and find out it's not compatible. Does anyone know for sure?

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
it is a direct swap. everything plugs right in. the only thing you have to do is extend one vent line. i used some regular rubber hose and just slid it onto the ends of both plastic lines. it is an emmissions line on facing the front of the car on the drivers side.

no1sirbutler

Established Member
yep its a straight forward swap. everything plugs in the same. but just and FYI you might want to do the FRPV delete before you put it in. its a very simple thing to do and i reccomend it since it seems like a lot of those tanks have that problem.

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
yep its a straight forward swap. everything plugs in the same. but just and FYI you might want to do the FRPV delete before you put it in. its a very simple thing to do and i reccomend it since it seems like a lot of those tanks have that problem.

i upgraded to dual GT pumps and deleted the PPRV at the same time.itis a lot easier to do with the tank dropped

Invictus

Banned
Thanks SaleenGT. I completed the tank swap and did the PPRV delete as well using some goodyear submersible hose from Autozone.

Took me a few hours since a few hose connections didn't really match up, I had to do some cutting and clamping but I got it and it and it's running with good fuel pressure!

Anyone need a GT tank?? =)

Thanks again man!

Users who are viewing this thread