Is there a way to test FRPS?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
If the car won't run... usually when you pull the elec connector off a bad FRPS it will start.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
If the car won't run... usually when you pull the elec connector off a bad FRPS it will start.

Problems from the FRPS often result from the diaphragm leaking fuel, not a problem with the electronic side (this is why it may be bad and not pop a code). The extra fuel leaking in to the vacuum line creates a rich condition. This is why everyone tells you to pull the vacuum line off and smell for gas (and change the oil). You can test the diaphragm by using a Mity-Vac and watching the guage (if it won't hold vacuum, it is bad).:thumbsup:

honestabe03

Established Member
Mine just went out and just like jm said, pull it off and it should start right up. then it's $92 to the local ford parts counter. Advance auto parts told me i didn't have a FRPS according to their computers, so save the wasted trip/call, go to ford. And my oil smelled like gas real bad, so change it before u go driving. Hope that's all that's wrong with ur car, good luck

dirtydave289

Established Member
thanks a lot guys, will definitely check it out tomorrow and see if it can hold the vacuum. If i unplug it the car might start for a split second then instantly die, so i'm not sure if that qualifies as starting or not lol

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Problems from the FRPS often result from the diaphragm leaking fuel, not a problem with the electronic side.
If fuel is getting by the diaphragm then no doubt this would skew the reading and throw the fuel system into turmoil regardless. You make a good point though so maybe the ultimate way to check for a bad FRPS is to pull the connector and vacuum line (plug the line), if the car starts and/or any fuel leaks out of the FRPS then you would know for sure it's the culprit.

honestabe03

Established Member
If it started that's a good sign, from me turning the motor over so much with the frps out, i had a ton of fuel in the left bank, ur plugs could be satturated in fuel. when i took the frps off and put new plugs in it, started right up and idled perfect, change ur plugs and try it again, but if it did start without the sensor i would say that was ur problem. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread