HELP coolant/oil leak

Jay03cobra

Established Member
Hey guys im getting pretty sick of few oil spots and coolant spillage on my driveway, i put the car up in the air and noticed around oil filter area to be leaking. it came to my ears that the oil cooler adapter leaks on the 03/04 cobra. i just wanna hear what you guys have to say and also i noticed a few drops of coolant on the sway bar and near crank pulley...... maybe same issue,,,, adapter? any help is appreciated

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Start by checking where the oil cooler attaches to the block right under the oil filter. Pretty common actually.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
If you're leaking oil around the oil filter, there are 2 possible pronblems:
1. Last time filter was changed, the filter's rubber seal came off and was stuck to the oil cooler. New filter put on, now there are 2 seals stacked. This WILL leak.

2. The hollow shaft the oil filter is screwed on has backed out. This will leak oil out of a weep hole on the body of the oil cooler. You need to remove the oil filter and use a 1/2" allen wrench to screw the hollow shaft back in. You can change the filter by itself without draining your oil. You'll have to add 1 qt of new oil (I'd just put a new filter back on rather than re-using the old filter).

Good luck.

terminatd

Established Member
I just went through a catastrophic leak pulling out of my garage, 12" wide and 15 feet long, ugghh what a mess. Checked the cooler/filter shaft and could turn it by hand, torqued it to 43lbs with a 1/2 hex bit socket, changed oil and filter. Now I have a very very slight run and a single drip from the weep hole, otherwise good.

Is that residual oil still working itself out or should it be dry immediately.

terminatd

Established Member
Most likely residue if it leaked that bad, I'd keep a eye on it though.

Yes, the weeping stopped, completely dry now..

It is amazing how much oil sprayed out of that weep hole.

If I wasn't at home, could have blown the motor from starvation.

Check the shaft with every oil change... 43 lbs half inch hex socket (for reference)

The one (last) oil change that I didn't do caused this mess..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hey guys im getting pretty sick of few oil spots and coolant spillage on my driveway, i put the car up in the air and noticed around oil filter area to be leaking. it came to my ears that the oil cooler adapter leaks on the 03/04 cobra. i just wanna hear what you guys have to say and also i noticed a few drops of coolant on the sway bar and near crank pulley...... maybe same issue,,,, adapter? any help is appreciated

From the Terminator "How To" forum:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/772115-how-repair-leaking-oil-cooler.html

Users who are viewing this thread