anyone using Royal Purple 20W50?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No, I am using RP 10w40 in a 50-50 blend of racing and street versions. Almost 9 quarts in a Canton road race pan.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 20 on the cold side with the 20w50, except that I was not feeling enough love to actually use it.

I don't think the 50 on the hot side would be a problem.
I would worry about lighting it up on a 29 degree morning though.

If they made a 0W50, 5W50 or even a 10W50, I would already have it in there.

If cold flow specs come out in this thread validating it, I may switch.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I dont personally like thicker weight oils in these engines, for basically one reason.

The oil passages throughout the engine are rather small, especially in the heads. And due to the sheer size of the heads, each can hold over 1qt of oil at any one time. Thats alot of oil that has to return through small passageways.

I use 5w30 and am happy with it. I could see the heavier weights in a road race car where the oil will be hot for an extended period of time, but I wouldn't do it with the stock capacity pan.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Unless you are racing it full time, why would you want to use a 50wt oil in this car ? Lubrication & cooling comes from flow, not thicker oil! A 0w30 or 5w30 is fine, and if you race it, then use a 40wt.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Great stuff! Every gearhead should have a thorough understanding of viscosity numbers, API ratings, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread