Lightning Force Perf. RADIATORS are JUNK 2nd unit failed now.

skratpiece

Established Member
2nd unit from Lightning Force Performance that has developed a leak and is pissing out around the seem near a weld. I love how they pull this. My responsibility. I bought the item for it's heavy duty craftsmanship for durability, and capacity, but I already know their gonna tell me that it's my problem because this is what happens in the aftermarket racing parts world. Tired of this. Stranded on side of the road again. All the downtime, and now I have to install another one and buy coolant. They'll probably ask me to purchase the new unit and wait for credit on the return. Tell whomever makes these units that they are junk. Thanks LFP. Hope you read this. Calling you tomorrow.

skratpiece

Established Member
2nd unit from Lightning Force Performance that has developed a leak and is pissing out around the seem near a weld. I love how they pull this. My responsibility. I bought the item for it's heavy duty craftsmanship for durability, and capacity, but I already know their gonna tell me that it's my problem because this is what happens in the aftermarket racing parts world. Tired of this. Stranded on side of the road again. All the downtime, and now I have to install another one and buy coolant. They'll probably ask me to purchase the new unit and wait for credit on the return. Tell whomever makes these units that they are junk. Thanks LFP. Hope you read this. Calling you tomorrow.

oldmodman

Established Member
They seem highly variable. They had a multi page radiator thread on Modfords and EVERY radiator had complaints. The one brand I have not heard complaints about (and I bet someone will jump in now with a horror story) are the rads from BeCool. So of course they don't seem to make one for the 03/04 Cobra:shrug:

They also seem to fail in batches. The ones from 7 years ago are still working. The ones from 4 years ago may be dropping like flies.

Is the actual metal different. Too much hardening? Wrong welding rod or temp? Who knows.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I am in the same leaking boat.

3 year old LFP race rad-------------- toast.

I had it epoxied at a rad repair shop with the correct radiator epoxy but they said no guarantee. They also didn't charge me anything at all. I took it to them because I knew they could TIG Aluminum radiators. Turned out to be at the transition of very thin metal to thicker metal. They said that location would not weld up without burning a big hole.:nonono:

I have not driven it yet. It is back together and holding still but it is sitting cold on jack stands.

I am still pretty down about it.:nonono::(

I will probably put a Fluidyne from Lethal in it when it finally fails again.

Then I am going to use Evans NPG+ waterless coolant.
End of corrosion.
There can be no electrolysis where there is no water.
Can't boil over either, so bye bye detonation causing localized hot spots.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Whats wrong with the stock radiator?

Nothing! The stock radiator is a great rad.

Many of us put bigger rads in, in the early days in an attempt to get a handle on the overheating issues these cars are prone to. Not just open track guys.

Turns out that unless air flow is increased significantly through the, more resistive to air flow thicker aftermarket rads, all they do is slow down the overheating by increasing the amount and mass of the coolant.

A car driven in normal conditions doesn't need cooling mods.

Cars with 100 or more horsepower over stock levels load way more heat into the cooling system than it was designed to be able to keep cool and unless time is given to radiate it out, they will overheat and detonate and trash pistons.

Now that these cars are getting older many of them are eating up rads and heater cores, from corrosion and more often than not, Electrolysis.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
radiator

doesnt help that the a/c radiator is right in front of the one for the motor so the fan has to pull through both, when i was working on my heat exchanger i noticed this, made me want to delete the a/c i barely use it anyway

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
doesnt help that the a/c radiator is right in front of the one for the motor so the fan has to pull through both, when i was working on my heat exchanger i noticed this, made me want to delete the a/c i barely use it anyway

This is the reason street legal R models don't come with A/C.

Road racing is brutal on cooling. That's why you see most cars with heavily vented hoods. Getting the A/C condenser out of the way of the rad air flow is even more important than the weight savings on an R model or a full on road race car.

DevilSun

Established Member
Don't tell me this. I have a new one sitting here going in a few weeks with my new engine. Anyone knows who makes these radiators for them anyways?

I'm highly considering calling C&R or Ron Davis and asking them to make a custom one if they haven't already.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Don't tell me this. I have a new one sitting here going in a few weeks with my new engine. Anyone knows who makes these radiators for them anyways?

I'm highly considering calling C&R or Ron Davis and asking them to make a custom one if they haven't already.

CHINA???

images

images

DevilSun

Established Member
LOL Jimmy. China is where not who, but will suffice as you're probably right...I think I saw some panda fur on mine too. :) Meh, screw it...mine is a very new run of them, it's going it and i'm not worrying about (I'll just keep an eye on it like everything else)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
LOL Jimmy. China is where not who, but will suffice as you're probably right...I think I saw some panda fur on mine too. :) Meh, screw it...mine is a very new run of them, it's going it and i'm not worrying about (I'll just keep an eye on it like everything else)

Fill it with Evans NPG+ and you won't have to worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread