Oil slinger

haskett

Established Member
Are you guys installing an oil slinger with the rear main seal, or leaving it out? I don't recall having one when I pulled this apart, but the manual shows it and I might have just forgotten.

Quick Strike

Established Member
It probably came off with the rear oil seal retaining plate unnoticed. I installed a new one in mine. I can't say it does any real work, but I put one in anyway.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
i have always wondered what the hell an oil slinger is..... i never could really find a definitive answer. What is this? Not the rear main seal obviously

stal94gt

Established Member
i know i have gotten some aftermarket rear main seals that did not have an oil slinger in it. now i run the fel pro 1 piece rear main seal. it looks very simmilar to a standard seal you would find on your axle ends or the front timing cover. it works great and never leaked on me

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The intent of a rear main oil slinger I believe.......

Is to use the force of the spinning crank and slinger to both deflect and sling, oil blasting out of the rear main bearing away from the seal.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:shrug:

haskett

Established Member
The intent of a rear main oil slinger I believe.......

Is to use the force of the spinning crank and slinger to both deflect and sling, oil blasting out of the rear main bearing away from the seal.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:shrug:

The 4.6L "slinger" is not a traditional slinger. It's apparently mis-named. The 4.6L oil slinger is between the rear main seal and the flywheel. So the main seal sees the oil coming off of the main bearing, not the slinger.

I have seen posts on other forums that imply the slinger is not used on all of the 4.6's. I also saw a post from an apparent Ford mechanic implying that the slinger is optional.

Tousley sent me the rear main seal, but no slinger. Just to be safe, I'll look into a slinger from a local source.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The 4.6L "slinger" is not a traditional slinger. It's apparently mis-named. The 4.6L oil slinger is between the rear main seal and the flywheel. So the main seal sees the oil coming off of the main bearing, not the slinger.

I have seen posts on other forums that imply the slinger is not used on all of the 4.6's. I also saw a post from an apparent Ford mechanic implying that the slinger is optional.

Tousley sent me the rear main seal, but no slinger. Just to be safe, I'll look into a slinger from a local source.

My, my that is odd, Maybe it a fail safe in case the rear main seal leaks, then less gets on the flywheel.

Obviously, I have not had one of these torn down myself.:bash:

Last edited:

Quick Strike

Established Member
I think it is more of a dust shield for the seal. Ther is a lot of clutch dust back there. Maybe it helps keep the dust away from the seal? :shrug:

stal94gt

Established Member
the rear seal is installed inverted so the slinger may add pressure on the seal so it cant get blown back under pressure. who knows there is also a oil slinger in the rear on the pinion. like i stated earlier felpro's 1 piece rear main sell ftw

haskett

Established Member
the rear seal is installed inverted so the slinger may add pressure on the seal so it cant get blown back under pressure. who knows there is also a oil slinger in the rear on the pinion. like i stated earlier felpro's 1 piece rear main sell ftw

Fwiw, Ford just told me that in their parts system this is now called a "baffle" and not a "slinger".

Also, for anyone tackling this install in the future, the flat part of the baffle faces the engine. This is consistent with stal94gt's explanation that this supports the seal against blow-by.

Ok, I'm off to collect parts and get ready to drop my engine in. Tomorrow is a big day!

Quick Strike

Established Member
Also, for anyone tackling this install in the future, the flat part of the baffle faces the engine!.

I can't tell you how many 4.6 engine pictures I looked at to figure that out. Mine came off with the plate and was in place correctly next to the seal. When it came time to reassemble, I was not sure if it came out that way or if I had put it that way later. The manual just instructs us to install it without giving a direction or a picture. So I squinted at picture after picture of 4.6 engines looking for the "slinger" position. Finally, I saw a couple for sale that had a good picture from the back. Aha, the flat part of the "slinger" faces the engine!

haskett

Established Member
FYI, the package says "slinger" even though the parts system now says "baffle".

The pilot bearing was a major pain to remove! My puller was worthless. A hack saw wouldn't even dent the hard metal caging the rollers. I finally used a die grinder to grind it down close to the crank, a cold chisel to finish it off to the crank, and then the puller to work it out.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
It's an old thread, but a picture might help someone one day.

Here's what I saw after I recently pulled the rear main cover off my stock 2003 Mach1 engine:

mach1-rear-oil-slinger-and-seal.jpg

And just in case someone needs to place an order, here are some relevant part numbers:

Pilot Bearing:F6ZZ-7600-A
Oil Slinger:F65Z-6310-AFC

Last edited:

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
It's an old thread, but a picture might help someone one day.

Here's what I saw after I recently pulled the rear main cover off my stock 2003 Mach1 engine:

mach1-rear-oil-slinger-and-seal.jpg

And just in case someone needs to place an order, here are some relevant part numbers:

Pilot Bearing:F6ZZ-7600-A
Oil Slinger:F65Z-6310-AFC

Thanks! I'm getting oil slinging off flywheel and hitting inside the passenger side Head. By the lower I take gasket I have oil sitting. Picking up a new rear main seal from ford. But if we do it in the car don't we need to drop the oil pan also?

Users who are viewing this thread