Frequency of Belt changing

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
Well I know my belt had been a little noisy for awhile but there were no signs of cracking or breaking down so i let it eat for a while. Ive use car quest belts for a while now and have never had an issue other than it squeaking which i get over really fast. This belt is only about a year old and has maybe a thousand miles on it with maybe 15 quarter mile passes with no problems no cracks nothing until today when each pass it gets worse and worse. So my question is how often and why do you change your belts when you do. I'm pretty sure this is why I couldnt go any faster than 115mph down the track today! Oh and I have a Reichard Racing 2.8 with a forward cut grooves.

IMAG0308.gif

mach1033

Established Member
I do a visual inspection every week. By that I mean I check all my fluids, hoses, belts, tires, brakes and electrical connections. I also pop my hood as my engine is idling to make sure both pumps work before I drive off. That is what I do every Saturday before I take her out. And I dont give a crap what my neighbors or my wife think's lol. I will never assume anything on a modded car. Belts are cheap so I change them every two years. But if I were drag racing it every weekend then who really knows how often to change them. I would just keep spares with me. My car is a street car and I go to the track maybe 3 to 4 times a year.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Ouch, that looks horrible to me. Not that I am any expert on belt subjects.

Are you sure you are running tight enough? That looks like it skips around on the pulley and gets chewed up a lot! I am working my way into tighter belts myself.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I remember i put a cheap napa belt on right after I installed the 8 lb lower took it out for a test drive made it 1/8 mile and did a burn out and poof the belt schreaded. the went to a good year gator back no issues 10,000 miles

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I remember i put a cheap napa belt on right after I installed the 8 lb lower took it out for a test drive made it 1/8 mile and did a burn out and poof the belt schreaded. the went to a good year gator back no issues 10,000 miles

I got a Gates from Napa when I put the Whipple on.(2007)
Still working great, no dust, no slip, happy, happy happy.:-D:beer:

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
Cant see the pic anymore. Take pics of ilders and belt. Im going to replace mine one every few seasons.Now if you drag raced alot i would replace each season.This is based upon mileage too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread