Can I drive it?(with a dead I/C pump)

duststang

Do U Kno The Terminator?
Established Member
So my intercooler reservoir pump has either went out or is barley working. I know this because when im at wot the fluid in the reservoir just over pressurizes and spews out. I am wondering if anyone knows if i can still drive it around until i get that fixed as long as i dont get on it. I still been driving it easy to the store and back, it seems to do fine. I have already ordered a new pump from tousley ford and will recieve it next week and my buddie and I are going to take the supercharger off tomorrow and clean out the intercooler and whatever else we can get to. Im sure it probably needs it. Any suggestions or opinions?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So my intercooler reservoir pump has either went out or is barley working. I know this because when im at wot the fluid in the reservoir just over pressurizes and spews out. I am wondering if anyone knows if i can still drive it around until i get that fixed as long as i dont get on it. I still been driving it easy to the store and back, it seems to do fine. I have already ordered a new pump from tousley ford and will recieve it next week and my buddie and I are going to take the supercharger off tomorrow and clean out the intercooler and whatever else we can get to. Im sure it probably needs it. Any suggestions or opinions?

Yes, just stay out of the boost.

I would not remove or recommend any one else remove the blower just to clean the intercooler off.
That is way too much work for almost nothing gained.

Cleaning the intercooler is worth doing when you are removing the Eaton for a port job or replacing it with a twin screw.

Unless you just happen to like taking things apart, which I do happen to understand, I would leave that task until a later date.

At this point in time you have nothing to gain except perhaps some broken bolts.:nonono:

duststang

Do U Kno The Terminator?
Established Member
Really? I didnt know it would be that hard to just remove the supercharger. The car has 103000 miles on it, i just figured a good cleaning would do it some good. So what would you recommend to do to clean out whatever i can clean without taking the supercharger off. What about the heat exchanger??

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Really? I didnt know it would be that hard to just remove the supercharger. The car has 103000 miles on it, i just figured a good cleaning would do it some good. So what would you recommend to do to clean out whatever i can clean without taking the supercharger off. What about the heat exchanger??

Seafoam through a vacuum line while running.
Do a search on it, it really is quite affective.

Mid pressure compressed air from the back side of the H/E to just blow out what the soap and water has loosened up. Don't use 150 PSI.

A pressure washer will work too but I can not think of a way to not get soaked.
It's best to blow through from the back.

duststang

Do U Kno The Terminator?
Established Member
kool. thanks for the comments guys. Jimmy- so put seafoam through just any vaccume line running to the supercharger? Im not sure which vaccume hose to actually use. And the cleaning of the h/e, thats with it unhooked completly from the car right? Sorry, im just trying to have a strong hold on all this. Thanks

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm trying my best to save you a bunch of labor but if want to take stuff apart I certainly understand.

The only times my H/E has been cleaned, it was left on the car, spayed down with brake clean and then hosed out with a regular garden hose.

The intercooler got cleaned once when I did the Whipple.

Why not just concentrate on getting that I/C pump replaced and don't sweat this other stuff. It's just not going to make a noticeable difference.

If you do a search on seafoam it should turn up some threads with how to pics.
I have never done it, and I am not feeling the need to either.

Any vacuum line that goes directly into the plenum will suffice.(and NOT into a device)
Lines going into the lower will bypass the I/C.

SVThink

I had a buddy whose i/c pump was going in and out of working. We lightly tapped on it with a hammer and it started flowing again with no issues after. Notice I said tapped and not "hit"

racebronco2

Established Member
Sometimes it's a bad connection. A friend of mine was driving his car for two years before i checked it out and found out that his intercooler pump wasn't working. They took it too ford twice and they couldn't find the problem why it was going into limp mode when getting on the gas.

duststang

Do U Kno The Terminator?
Established Member
So my friend talked me into doing the sc and intercooler cleaning. So why the heck not. I felt like i needed to learn how to do all this anyway. So we took it apart and cleaned the sc and intercooler and throttle body with the parts cleaner that cleans with basically diesel fluid. It was really nasty, but Im not completly happy with the cleaning. Alot of the oil and grime came out, but some was like burnt into the intercooler. oh well. I still have the stuff off the car sitting in my living room. I was gonna put it all back on this weekend, but just had a little accident yesterday (broke my fibea in my ankle and leg, so im kinda immobile right now, stuck in the house :cryying: ) Anyways, i was thinking i could get out the dremel and port out the throttle body and elbow. But was kinda hesitant about doing the s/c. What do you guys think? Think i should give it a try or is it really picky with what kind of port it gets??? Any comments will be appreciative. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread