Pulley Swap Question.......

1strike

Established Member
Alright guys.....Noob here switching over from the 5.0 community to the Terminator side of things. So I bought this '03 with 62,000 miles on it. I've already got it at 68,xxx and its only been about 2 1/2 months since I've had it in my possession.

I've asked around as far as what are some of the things are that I can do and most everybody I've spoken to has first mentioned the pulley swap. Now I personally went into my local Ford Dealer and asked a technician ( don't know if he was SVT Certified or not) but he say's that I should not do the pulley swap because doing so I'm running the risk of blowing the motor yet everyone i know with a cobra has done just that.

Question: Do I or do I not do the Pulley Swap on my car???????? I would think 68,xxx miles is still somewhat of a healthy engine to put my foot in it......

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
If your going to do pulley swap.I would do intake and exhaust along with pulley.The reason he may have said if you do a pulley swap.He though you were meaning thats it.The motor could potentially blow then as your adding more bosst which will be more air and the fuel not being corrected.Will cause the motor to lean out.Doing a pulley swap you need to have it tuned as well.

1strike

Established Member
by intake you mean the "cold air intake" right??? As far as exhaust.....I bought it with bassani cat back exhaust and bassani x pipe with high flow cat's

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Listen to Jimmy, he is Moses carrying the stone Cobra tablets around these parts.:D

Last edited:

GoatSlayer

Banned
If your going to do pulley swap.I would do intake and exhaust along with pulley.The reason he may have said if you do a pulley swap.He though you were meaning thats it.The motor could potentially blow then as your adding more bosst which will be more air and the fuel not being corrected.Will cause the motor to lean out.Doing a pulley swap you need to have it tuned as well.

Yeah, pull the bitch and get it tuned. I will never ask a dealership question about performance on my car. Most of them are just clueless.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
first let me say congrats on getting your cobra! these cars are a blast, as you have discovered...im sure. =]

dont listen to the ford tech. as long as you get your car tuned after the pulley swap, you'll be fine. my cobra is my DD, and has been for almost 3 years. had around 50-60k miles on it when i got it, completely stock. i had the pulley swapped within 2 months. the car has a lil over 100k miles on it now.

you'll be amazed at the power difference from just going from the stock upper to something like a 2.8. i was pleasantly shocked and suprised at the difference it made. the car became a whole new animal. if you think its fast now...just wait.

IMHO you should get rid of your stock upper ASAP!

:rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Terminators do blow up after being modded, so the guy was not exactly lying, but If you are careful with both your mod selections and your usage, you will not blow it up.

Stock Terminators have been blown up too.

Back to back runs to 140+ will overwhelm the STOCK cooling system, allow hot spots in the heads to form, which then triggers detonation, which then rapidly overheats the pistons,(or melts them) which grow and contact the cylinder walls due to the tight piston to wall clearances.

Resulting in stuff like this, which is 100% avoidable.:nonono:
BadPiston_Cyl2_001.jpg

img1789px5.jpg

img1787wl6.jpg

DSCN1464.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread