Whipple 2.3 only???

Black03svt-2011

Established Member
Can I get away with bolting on a whipple 2.3 with a 3.50 pulley at 13lbs boost and nothing else? I want to be around 500hp with the whipple, intake, catted x, and catback. With those mods is a mail order tune safe(bama or otherwise)?I just want a fairly reliable car that will surprise the hell out of a few unsuspecting drivers.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I think a stock 3.5 pulley will work for you....if you have stock sized idlers,stock lower and a snub idler. i have a gates belt with 300 miles on it ill sell you for a good price. I used it just to put my car around before the tune......Seriously you need to read my thread about my issue with alternator i didnt even know was bad. So i would stay away from a mail order tune.....im not saying they are bad just if there is a issue your not aware of could lead you to serious trouble if the car is not on the roller with a pro making sure everything is right. If i would of went with a mail order i would of bashed the hell out of the go petal and most likely poped my motor.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/770743-r-e-t-tuned-whipple-2-3-91oct.html

let me know if your interested in the belt...i think new is like 50 with tax....ill do 30.00 shipped

Last edited:

Black03svt-2011

Established Member
That was a good catch. Also the reason I'm leary of a mail order tune. I'm near Kansas city if anyone has experience with a good tuner. This is the only thing holding me back from buying the whipple.

cbr repsol

Established Member
im not sure in your area but im sure someone will let u know of a good tuner where u live. Get it on the rollers and call it a day.

mach1033

Established Member
I would get an SCT tuner and datalog what you have. It will tell you everything you need to know about the vitals of your car. A mail order tune isnt bad with a basic set up like yours if you dont have a choice of tuners in your area. You do have a few tuners that can work with you if you go the mail route. Also when you datalog your runs you will also be more in tune with your car. I for one am going that route as far as datalogging when I get my car back. I want to know everything about my car. Like Dwight "cbr repsol" said you just might catch an issue that you didnt know about. :beer:

Black03svt-2011

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Whipple money is burning a hole in my pocket but I dont really want to get into the fuel system if I dont need to right now. The car will never see the strip or any real racing action. I just want a little more power for the random stoplight to stoplight. I've only got 12,xxx miles on the car and would like to keep it together for awhile.

cbr repsol

Established Member
whipple claims stock pumps/fuel system is good till 15psi if i remember correctly...i would still put a bap in though just to be safe, they are only a couple hundo.

Black03svt-2011

Established Member
Whats involved in the install of the bap? Id run the search but since were already talking.
They (whipple) claim direct bolt on with no further upgrades to 13psi. Thats the 3.5 pulley. But would that claim hold true if you add an intake and exhaust? I know that will change the air/fuel ratios. Would I need and upgraded maf? I've read about them pegging out in the GAS thread.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
There is no point of ordering the whipple if you going to run 13-14psi.. Just port the eaton and pully it and you will have your 500+rwhp. Now if you're plans are to run decent boost later on then whipple is worth it, if not then don't shell out 3K for a blower when u can get 500rwhp with just a ported eaton. Not trying to sway your decision from getting the whipple, just stating my opinion. And remember you will need atleast a BAP and an upgraded MAF to run the whipple safely.

And also there are a few tuners around KS. My old car was tuned by MC Racing, and they did a good job. I heard it was pricey but I coudlnt complain since I bought the car already tuned. There is also a place called supertune performance that does cobras (and quiet a few people got their tunes from them, maybe they will chime in)

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Shoot Jimmysidecarr a pm and he'll fill you in on all the details of running a Whipple at low boost.

Black03svt-2011

Established Member
I'll pm Jimmy if he hasn't seen the thread by tonight. It might be info that will help someone else as well.

I want to go the whipple route because I know that eventually I will want more, but for now I'd like to start small(er). That way I'll have room to grow and if money gets tight I'll still be happy hearing that twin screw scream.

Black306

Established Member
My Whipple with a 3.5" pulley made a solid 14psi in 90*+ heat. I'm sure it would make more in cooler weather.

Like others have said, running a Whipple with no other upgrades is not a good idea. A ported blower with supporting mods is a much better idea. If you do go with a Whipple, minimum I would suggest is a BAP, 60lbs injectors, and a BA2400 or BA2600 mass air. A BAP is the least expensive upgrade you can do to make sure you get the fuel you need. Injectors are hard to install after you install the blower, plus you can make some of the money back by selling your stock injectors. If you play your cards right, you can recoup most of you money on the mass air upgrade.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i agree with VladSVT .. there is no reason to go whipple for a measly 500hp which can be done with the eaton at a much lower cost ... if you go whipple then plan to get the supporting mods ... bc 500rwhp will get boring after a while

:burnout::burnout:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You are not a candidate for bolting on a Whipple and not doing support mods.

You have a CAI and exhaust.

Sorry you will peg your MAF and max out your pumps.... BAD IDEA!

Do it right or don't do it.
Unless you like the thought of roasting pistons makes you all warm and fuzzy inside.

The Whipple with no support scenario is on a restrictive 100% stock car, and even then I think it is a really BAD IDEA!

The minimum you will need for a low boost Whipple will be BAP and a MAF.

Might as well do the injectors too because they max out about 530 and you have to remove the blower to put them on.

See the numbers in sig??
Glad I played it safe because at the time I was not sure about the HP point the injectors, come into play.

Black03svt-2011

Established Member
Thanks Jimmy, always to the point. I'll be a little more patient, it may turn into a winter project but I looked for this car for 2 years and am just getting a little excited.:beer:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Some people are saying don't waste your time running the whipple at 13-14psi(3.5 upper with stock lower), but wouldn't it be more efficient than spinning the hell out of an eaton at 15-17 psi with a upper and lower combo :shrug: He can always turn the boost up later when he wants to.

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Some people are saying don't waste your time running the eaton[you meant whipple i believe] at 13-14psi(3.5 upper with stock lower), but wouldn't it be more efficient than spinning the hell out of an eaton at 15-17 psi with a upper and lower combo :shrug: He can always turn the boost up later when he wants to.

not if he doesnt plan to do the supporting mods he can't

... this was being said in relation to him stating "keep everything else stock"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread