Got my baby back today but question:

slidai

Established Member
I had the car at the Ford dealership to replace the longtube headers and midpipe (both were leaking due to scraps over time that wore down the metal) with the stock headers and a MAC prochamber o/r mid and to reseal the rear end.

Sounds amazing but my question is, with the stock manifolds back on, should i really be worried about damaging the engine since i assume the tune was done for the longtubes?

The car has a 2.8 pulley and cia. I am afraid to get on it since i know the stock manifolds are not going to move as much air as those longtubes. Not really sure if that would be an issue.

12 hours labor for the headers and 5 for the reseal of the rear end. Damn these Cobras...

raw23062

Established Member
I'll be the first to tell you I'm not an expert on these cars, but conventional wisdom would certainly think that by making this change you have created less air flow through the exhaust, creating less need for fuel if anything....one would assume if you had created an issue, it would be a rich issue and not a lean one(ie the more air you move through a motor, the more fuel you need to prevent a lean condition)....can't see this causing serious harm other than fouling plugs, etc..if anything....again, my years of experience are with pushrod motors and carbs, so don't take my word for it but I'd sure like to hear how this would cause a dangerous scenario....certainly maybe not the most economical or ideal scenario probably, but harmful? You have me curious as well.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'll be the first to tell you I'm not an expert on these cars, but conventional wisdom would certainly think that by making this change you have created less air flow through the exhaust, creating less need for fuel if anything....one would assume if you had created an issue, it would be a rich issue and not a lean one(ie the more air you move through a motor, the more fuel you need to prevent a lean condition)....can't see this causing serious harm other than fouling plugs, etc..if anything....again, my years of experience are with pushrod motors and carbs, so don't take my word for it but I'd sure like to hear how this would cause a dangerous scenario....certainly maybe not the most economical or ideal scenario probably, but harmful? You have me curious as well.

I would agree with that.

You will have more boost due to exhaust flow being limited slightly, but the resistance to flow ultimately results in less air through, which your MAF should read just fine and the PCM should pulse in the correct amount of fuel. Hopefully it will be dead on, but if it is going to be off in any direction it would be rich, which is generally pretty safe.

I would drive it like normal and maybe check the plugs in a thousand miles.
If it produces some negative symptoms then that's different.
Depending what they are we will go from there.

But I don't think it will.:beer:

slidai

Established Member
Yea it does smell like it's a little rich. Thanks for the advise. I do plan on getting a new tune soon.

Users who are viewing this thread