F1A cog drive and sullivan intakes?

z28misfit

Established Member
Maybe I just dont know how to search very well,,but Im curious as to who all is running Prochargers F1A cog drive setup with a Sullivan upper and lower intake? Looking at the different videos on youtube everyone seems to use either a 99 cobra intake or the one procharger sells with the kit. From what I can see it doesnt look like you can direct the charge pipe to a front mount intercooler??? Can the blower be clocked so the charge pipe will point towards the ground so you can set it up for a fron mount intercooler?? I seen one member on here in the Distillery has the type of setup Im thinking of but its the only car Ive seen with it done. I think his user name is 95SC?? Thanks for any help or input everyone :burnout:

346CamaroSS

Established Member
03zincyellowsvt has a cog driven F1 if im not mistaking.. Maybe he can chime in.
I don't think hes running the sullivan though.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I've seen a couple set ups like the one you describe. Not sure how well the sulivan would work in this application for a street car. From my understanding it pretty effectively kills low end power and seeing as how top end focused centri blowers are it probably wouldn't make a fun street car. You can only gear the rear so much. On a dedicated 1/4 mile car it would be a no-brainer to me. All that high rpm madness would shine at the track.

Thats probably why you see more people run the 01 Cobra intake as it's alot more street friendly. The Procharger sheet metal has similar draw backs as the sullivan. Alot of times you see guys swap from the Procharger sheet metal to the 01 Cobra intake.

Blackedout

Established Member
Yes the blower can be clocked...I'm running the procharger intake but have not finished things up yet to hit the dyno..

z28misfit

Established Member
Yes the blower can be clocked...I'm running the procharger intake but have not finished things up yet to hit the dyno..

sounds good,,,Id be interested in what kinda power you make. I dont see alot of procharged 03-04 cobras and Ive never seen one in my area. It would be something different then the usual twin screw or twin turbo setups that are around.

z28misfit

Established Member
I've seen a couple set ups like the one you describe. Not sure how well the sulivan would work in this application for a street car. From my understanding it pretty effectively kills low end power and seeing as how top end focused centri blowers are it probably wouldn't make a fun street car. You can only gear the rear so much. On a dedicated 1/4 mile car it would be a no-brainer to me. All that high rpm madness would shine at the track.

Thats probably why you see more people run the 01 Cobra intake as it's alot more street friendly. The Procharger sheet metal has similar draw backs as the sullivan. Alot of times you see guys swap from the Procharger sheet metal to the 01 Cobra intake.

yeah I pretty much figured the Sullivan setup wouldnt be a prime choice for power down low but Im not real concerned about power below 3,000rpms. The cam and all that I had in my last car didnt start to really shine until about the 3-3500rpm mark anyways so its not a big deal breaker for me. Thanks for the extra input though, all is appreciated.

mineral154

whatever
Established Member
Last edited:

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
yes the blower can be clocked differently but i have no idea about the sullivan, keep us posted with any info you find out

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member

lineupp

Established Member
I just finished installing my setup, I have the Sullivan lower, but not the Sullivan Upper. But I did clock the blower to route the piping for a front mount intercooler. I Cut a hole in the fender well for the piping to go through. Wourked out very nicely i think.

chad2.gif

chad1.gif

z28misfit

Established Member
I just finished installing my setup, I have the Sullivan lower, but not the Sullivan Upper. But I did clock the blower to route the piping for a front mount intercooler. I Cut a hole in the fender well for the piping to go through. Wourked out very nicely i think.

chad2.gif

chad1.gif

Thats awesome looking!! You are using the HPP upper plenum arent you? I thought about that setup as well. Did you piece your kit all together or did you buy the F1A cog setup from Procharger and just ditch the peices you werent gonna use? Right now it looks like thats my only option is to buy the kit from Procharger and make the rest of the kit the way I want the piping to route up to the intake. I want a front mount intercooler like what you did it and not the way procharger has it setup with the factory intercooler under their intake.

lineupp

Established Member
That is the HPP upper. Wourked out great. I bought the kit from procharger minus the intake from them and i believe a couple other little pieces that i didnt need, and it was a couple bucks cheaper. I built the intercooler and all of the charge piping myself. Got the intercooler core from ETS. Also got rid of the factory coolant tank and Used a Billet Specialties Overflow tank and mounted it to the Blower bracket. Then used an inline filler neck from Jegs.

It will be going on the Dyno within the next week, so we'll see how well everything works together.

z28misfit

Established Member
That is the HPP upper. Wourked out great. I bought the kit from procharger minus the intake from them and i believe a couple other little pieces that i didnt need, and it was a couple bucks cheaper. I built the intercooler and all of the charge piping myself. Got the intercooler core from ETS. Also got rid of the factory coolant tank and Used a Billet Specialties Overflow tank and mounted it to the Blower bracket. Then used an inline filler neck from Jegs.

It will be going on the Dyno within the next week, so we'll see how well everything works together.

yeah keep me posted would love to get an idea on what kinda numbers you make. I never bought a blower before so I didnt know you could delete things from the kit. Im gonna tackle the piping myself if I buy one of these prochargers. Did you use aluminum piping or steel? I have a MIG welder at the shop so I will probably buy steel or aluminized steel piping so I can weld it. We dont have a TIG welder at the shop so aluminum is kinda outta the question for me,plus Ive never TIG welded before.

mineral154

whatever
Established Member
how did you like the sullivan? was it ok on the street or was it really "peaky"
2011-05-24_17-17-54_85.jpg
heres an idea of how the sullivan is on the trq curve.twin turbo pump gas comp cams springs etc. minor port/cleaned up stock 03 heads. and yeah its a little peaky i would say lose traction for a second and its straight to the 7800rpm rev limiter. :eek:

z28misfit

Established Member
I just bought an F1A kit off of 004redtorch today. For now Im gonna run the kit the way procharger has it setup. This winter I plan on doing heads and cams so at that time if I can swing the funds Im gonna attempt to do a front mount intercooler and the sullivan intake setup.First things first for now is getting a fuel system for the car and relocation kit for the battery. Hopefully by july I will have everything put on this car,but Im a procrastinator so time will tell hahahaha :sleeping:

TRBO VNM

FYI, you will have to buy the sullivan used if you go that route. They are out of or going out of business. I had a customer recently buy the last intake setup that sullivan had. Keep in mind also, their fuel rails are specific to their lower intake.

z28misfit

Established Member
FYI, you will have to buy the sullivan used if you go that route. They are out of or going out of business. I had a customer recently buy the last intake setup that sullivan had. Keep in mind also, their fuel rails are specific to their lower intake.

ok thanks for the heads up..I had a feeling their fuel rails were the only ones that would work on their intake..That sorta sucks in a way. Maybe I will have to use an 01 cobra intake instead. I kinda wanted the sullivan setup. Does anybody know if the cobra intake would be worth putting on instead of using the procharger one?

TRBO VNM

You can modify the lower intake to accept other rails. It isn't minor work, but I know Amazon modified one to accept Fore rails.

Users who are viewing this thread