03 Cobra head tick just went away

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
probably wasnt the tick to begin with. did you change oil/filter or anything?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It likely wasn't the head tick to begin with, as 1wild-horse said. Whatever it was, the issue seems to be gone. Hopefully gone for good. :)

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Maybe it was an exhaust leak that sealed up somehow. Head tick doesn't just go away on it's own.

Blueline

Established Member
What they said, it was not the head tick then. It may have been a lash adjuster, exhaust leak etc. Did you change the oil? Either way, at least its gone.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Hmm, must be magic!

On a side note, can you post up some pics of the cars you have in your sig? Sounds like a sweet collection! :coolman:

Blueline

Established Member
Im gonna guess that you had a lash adjuser that wasnt priming for whatever reason. The when you changed the oil, it primed and the noise went away.

Blueline

Established Member
No problem, how are you enjoying the car? I just bought mine 5 months ago and love every min. of driving it.

03cobrah

Established Member
thought i had the head tick when i first bought my cobra, was paranoid as hell. the tick was actually coming from where the midpipe meets the headers the nut wasn't tight and the exhaust was ticking! you may want to take a look at that

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Im gonna guess that you had a lash adjuser that wasnt priming for whatever reason. The when you changed the oil, it primed and the noise went away.

This is a very good possibility.

A little dirt in a lash adjuster keeping it from pumping up will sound very much like a bad guide. The fresh oil change will very often take a few drive cycles and miles to clean out the lash adjuster.

If you are unsure of the previous owner's change interval and which oil he used, you might want to do a filter change and top off, assuming you are using a top shelf synthetic currently.

Or just change everything at about 3K.

Blueline

Established Member
Damn, you got a great deal! Especially now that it may not have the head tick. You should be happy!

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
when I had the head tick (twice) it wouldn't start ticking until the car was nice and warm. Try driving her around until she is totally warmed up.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
lash adjuster is where i was going with the oil change question. I'm never in the right place at the right time to jump on a deal like that. Great find man. hope it's fixed!

Users who are viewing this thread