Head knock tick.

Quagmire

Established Member
Hey guys ok i got a knock when any load is put on car coming from the the top sounds like hitting the passenger valve cover, Pulled plugs were fine, doing a compression test in the morning. Took SC belt off still occur. It might be a PS pump or AC pump knocking not how common it is? But if i rev it and hold it sound goes away. I am leaning towards rockers or some part of valve train gone. Just hope its something little. Any opinions?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
img1789px5.jpg
:nonono:

Quagmire

Established Member
Ya compression test will show all. if thats the case Either Reman, mmr, or just rebuild? if its just one piston i probably just do bore rebuild unless it is not cost effective, and just buy reman for 4k or mmr for 3k

94vert50

Established Member
Can you hear it w/ hood up at idle? You sure it's passenger's side? How many miles on the car? Can we assume you have you read all the threads about the head tick with these cars?

Quagmire

Established Member
No not at idle at all with the hood up. Car has 24k, yes have been through the threads with ticks and knocks, there are like 1200 of them. Started after a short drive, maybe 5 miles and turning into parking lot is when i noticed it. Drove it close to 150 miles today all on highway didn't do any high speed pulls. Oil pressure and A/f all looked fine. I think next step is to look at compression and go from there,

Quagmire

Established Member
Update compression test turned out fine most of the cylinders above 160 some in the 170s this is when engine is cold. Fuel system was disabled. Might be a pulley knock (crosses fingers) But does rod bearings show up on a compression test?

Last edited:

Quagmire

Established Member
Well i think next test is to pulley the rear belt off and give it a start make sure it is not the water pump or idler pulleys,If it still makes the noise i think pulling the engine is next step tell me if i am wrong?

Quagmire

Established Member
ya used it yesterday just it is so hard in these damn engines, well i will let you all know its raining now so i really can't work on any more, thanks guys

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Before you tear down.

Pull off one coil wire at a time on the bank with the noise. This simply removes the power from the power stroke one cylinder at a time.

Rev to known knock RPM and listen each time.

When the knock goes away with the coil wire off, that is the hurt cylinder.

Drain and save about 1 quart of the old oil.(for possible oil analysis later on)

Remove, drain, cut open and inspect oil filter.(post pics)

Last edited:

Quagmire

Established Member
Hey guys update. I got valve covers off and don't see anything wrong in the valve train. I am kinda stumped. Compression/leak down check is good, can it still be a melted piston? Getting borescope here tuesday, so i really don't know now. I really want to figure it out before i pull engine.

Only idea i can think of maybe one of the tappets are ****ed but, is there anyway to tell or gotta pull them and soak in oil and see which ones suck?

Quagmire

Established Member
Aight let you guys know whats happening, Going to work on it monday again, by that time i should have a borscope.

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
i have the same type of tapping noise but its throughout the rpm band. I pulled every coil, and it still was there. I ended up pulling the motor and having the heads done. New lash adjusters,rockers,valve guides and a valve job was done. I had 190 compression across the board and it still makes the noise :fm: even after all that. Im wondering if its a lifter bore? check those with the VC off since thats about the only thing i havnt tried lol.

Users who are viewing this thread