Voltage question?

04bgsnake

Established Member
I am currently replacing my fuel system in my cobra from a dual return to a triple return. I also have an aftermarket stereo in the car. Between the two, I try to be conscious of voltage throughout the rpm cycle (dont want to lose any pumps). I have the stereo completely out and am currently logging voltage drops through my handheld tuner. Normal total voltage is running in the 13-13.5 range. However at low rpm with either lights on or a/c on the voltage drops into upper 11s to 12s. It then goes back up to mid 13s as I accelerate. The alternator seems to be charging at 14.3-14.4 consistently. Just curious as to if this drop is too low and could cause me fueling issues. When the stereo is re-installed, a capacitor and second battery are being installed with it. Just wondering if I will have problems once the 3rd pump is installed because of this low voltage? Just as an aside, I can now hear my pumps running all the time. Maybe I just never noticed it before since normally the back seat is up. I can hear a whine that increases and decreases with the voltage, thus the concern over not enough power.:shrug:

Last edited:

kmadona

Established Member
Check your battery voltage after the car sits. My battery was 7 months old but had a bad cell. Voltage would drop to 11.7 to 12.0 while driving at 25 to 45 mph. I would let the car sit overnight and the battery voltage would be 11.5 volts. Ford Dealer tested the alternator, all ok.

Aonebadbone

Established Member
Just get a bigger alternator problem solved. The battery won't make any difference if the alternator cant keep up with the demands of you're system

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just get a bigger alternator problem solved. The battery won't make any difference if the alternator cant keep up with the demands of you're system

Gee, that sounds like a great solution. Did you do that? What did you get?
Is it still mounted in the same location?
Did you run cooling ducts to it to keep it cool making all those extra amps?
How long have you been running it?
Did you keep the same size alt pulley?

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread