Having Alternator problems.. Little help please

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
I relize this is a on going problem... 30k mile bone stock cobra. Alt just failed ordered a new reman and it failed in less then a day. What should i do or could it be another problem somewhere else...

Blackedout

Established Member
My original died 25,000 miles 2nd one died 15 miles (reman from pepboys) ordered one from Tousley Ford (reman) still going strong.. call Seve 1-800-328-9552

Last edited:

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
what size pulley should i buy for the alternator since everything is stock on the car. Should i just buy the pulley size for the 2-4lb lower kit.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I went through three alternators before I pulled my head out of the sand and put an underdrive pulley on it. Also, replace your battery too. I did these two things simultaneously and it has been going strong for two years now.

Seriously OP, looking at your list of cobras you've owned as well as the current ones you have.....how has this never been an issue for you in the past? I make shopping cart level power compared to yours and had started dealing with this shit five years ago.

Last edited:

Stalker27

Established Member
Tousley alt and throw a 3.2 alt pulley on there and like someone said. Replace the battery too. I did all of the above when mine went out

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
Im posting this for a friend.. All the cobras i have owned 600+ hp. i have never had a problem with any alt. Now that i said this ill prob get stranded somewhere.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
Read the faq, there is a bunch of stuff there on alts. Hint: underspin it.
true that !!!

i been through a couple factory ones & a p.a. automotive one :cuss: p.a. customer service sucks btw !!!

i bought one from jamie @ start-n-charge no mo issues !!!

ALSO !!! if you have a upper & lower pulley combo YOU NEED A METCO ALT. PULLEY !!! other wise you will be spinning the **** out of it & you will keep killing alt.`s no matter what !!

if you have a 2# or 4# lower here ya go !!

Metco 03-04 Cobra Alternator Pulley 2-4lb Lower Pulley (3.20) [MAP3200] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

they also make one for diffrent combo`s too :beer:

good luck long live your alt. :D

mccoigk

BLUSN8K
Established Member
At the risk of getting a smart ass, large-font response, where are these FAQ's you speak of for alternators? Only place I found a link was under Quick Links but that just takes me back to the main forum page.

Maybe if the FAQ's had a larger font I would see it easier?:shrug:

mccoigk

BLUSN8K
Established Member
Oh I see. I was thinking it was a seperate FAQ page like most other sites have, not a posting inside the forum.

OK thanks, thats what I needed.

Users who are viewing this thread