Head tick maybe?!!

fevoman13

hello everyone just bought a 03 cobra 2 weeks ago love it! But it has a tick coming from the motor. I have read and researched as much as I could on the famous head tick these cars get. My question is when I drive it and give it gas, not WOT or a lot, the tick goes away but staying at a constant speed or sitting still.I can hear it like crazy. Is that the head tick and should it go.away when.I'm accelerating? And what's average cost ,labor/parts, for iy to.be rebuilt thank you

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
The problem could get costly quick, if indeed there is a problem. Injectors tick also. Some very knowledgable folks here that could help. Posting a vid of the tick you hear could better help diagnose the issue.

GodStang

Established Member
These cars are noisy. Valve train and injectors and could be an exhaust leak. Things to think about.

Rebuilt is expensive for the fact the engine has to be yanked. Which side head is the noise?

hotcobra03

Established Member
3 times head tick winner here...found with compression test...

my last repair was done by me,,new head gasket and bolts,ect....1500.00 tousley ford appears to be the place to go for parts,,,,

highly suggest dont buy a used head,,,,,BRUTAL will agree

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It's coming from the driver side. If its the head would it stop ticking on acceleration ?

Usually no but if your car is loud enough it might not have actually stopped, it might just be drowned out.

Sometimes a piston that has grown out into the wall a few times too many will have injured piston skirt Teflon or whatever that black stuff is that can actually peel back and come right off the piston shirt. It alters the piston to wall clearance and they can rock in the bores at certain RPMs and then seem to stop at other RPMs.

Loose guides when standing nest to the engine listening while reving it up will usually keep right on ticking.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
3 times head tick winner here...found with compression test...

my last repair was done by me,,new head gasket and bolts,ect....1500.00 tousley ford appears to be the place to go for parts,,,,

highly suggest dont buy a used head,,,,,BRUTAL will agree

Excellent info right there.:rockon::beer:

Don't ever buy used heads for these cars, you might just end up with something worse than you are taking off.

fevoman13

Ok looks like new heads for me. I guess since they will be off go a head and cam it lol. Ok time to look around here and see what cams are workinging the best. Thank you everyone. One last question I have changed heads and cams in push rod motors how much more difficult is it on these?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ok looks like new heads for me. I guess since they will be off go a head and cam it lol. Ok time to look around here and see what cams are workinging the best. Thank you everyone. One last question I have changed heads and cams in push rod motors how much more difficult is it on these?

this job is very easy...at least it was for me and i was a first timer..

hardest part was the lower caged pulley bolt...most have trouble..being ive had mine off many times i found to lock up driveline at trans yoke..
the proper tool locks the flywheel...without any tools to lock it will be a pita...

can be done in car ..i suggest pulling motor only to make sure oil screen and cooler are clean...

not sure on cam change...ive heard some bad ass sounding cobras but not sure on bang for the buck.....

Users who are viewing this thread