Crank pulley stripped - supercharger not spinning

RoadRash

Established Member
Guys,

I was running down the road the other day and my battery light came on. I thought it was the alternator and have been pulling it off and checking it out. It is fine and I bolted everything back up and started it up and the damn serpentine belt is not turning. I can see the crank bolt spinning but the outer crank pulley just sits.

Has anyone had this happen? I cant find any threads on this.

Ironhand

Banned
Its pretty simple to diagnose.

Does the stock supercharger lower spin? No.
Does the Harmonic balancer spin? Yes.= The lower unscrewed itself somehow.
If no and both dont spin then the keyway broke.

RoadRash

Established Member
Well, I said the outer pulley was stripped.

The supercharger and belt spins both ways easily. When the car is running, the center bolt that screws into the crank spins. The supercharger does not.

Oh, and the car drives fine .. until the battery dies. Guess I just need a new lower.

Thanks guys.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Man, that thing must have been cross threaded or something when installed. Hope you can clear the stripped threads out of the balancer. Actually, as I am thinking about it, I would guess that the iron threads of the balancer would strip before the threads of the supercharger puller would. I believe they are steel (could be wrong on that, but thats what they look like)

RoadRash

Established Member
I did have a problem installing it (about 10k miles ago) and I had a machine shop chase the threads and I thought all was good. In retrospect, I think the interference fit was compromised.

I think it is stripped out because the balancer is flush with the pulley and just spins .. I'm looking for a new one.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
You may want to pop that one off to make sure it is the supercharger pulley that has stripped threads and not the harmonic balancer. If you buy a pulley and take it apart and the balancer is stripped then you're stuck with two blower pulleys. Unless the blower pulley itself was pretty jacked when you took it to the machine shop.

Users who are viewing this thread