I need some advice on upgrading heads.

drowningink

Hey guys,

This is my first post on this site, so I figured why not get some advice on upgrading the heads on my 03 cobra. I think it is almost time to dump some money into cams and a head upgrade so if anyone has any opinions on what would be a good option to hit the 700-800hp mark that would be great. I'm pushing 583 rwhp at the moment, but just like crack; horse power is addictive and I need more!!!!!:dancenana:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you are not rebuilding the engine, where you already have them off, then heads are not much of an issue, the stock ones work really well.

A bottom end with better pistons and more piston to wall clearance is a more pressing issue at that power level than the heads are.

However. if you have the "tick" or you have tossed any spark plugs, then replacing heads should be in the discussion.

I would probably do the Ford service replacement heads stock right out of the box.

For porting either Stiegemeier or Fox Lake should at least be priced out.

Don't buy used Terminator heads, without knowing the full and complete story as to why they are not being sold on a complete engine.

mach1033

Established Member
There arent any aftermarket heads that I am aware of. If you are going to pull the motor apart then you would be very well advised to change the pistons. As far as heads the stock heads are fine. You can get them ported along with getting a custom set of cams made to your specs. By specs I mean for what ever power upgrade you plan on using like a twin screw, turbos or centrifugal blower.

drowningink

I had heard that the stock heads were pretty decent as far as flow. I currently have a Whipple (Not sure what size, it was on there when I bought it) with a 3" pulley now. Looking at a set of comp cams, upgrading the valve spring/retainers, port/polish, headers, and retune. I had very well thought about doing the pistons and rods as well in the bottom end. Any suggestions on brand/type pistons to go with? Thanks for all the input so far guys.

Users who are viewing this thread