Don't forget to add antifreeze to intercooler coolant!!!

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Just a reminder to all you guys that may have ran straight water all year..

Don't forget to add antifreeze to your intercooler coolant!!!! I completely forgot until this week when it got a little cold out..

:coolman:
images

you forgot the visual aid of the rubber ducky....
DUCKY.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

kyhemi-dart

03 Zinc Cobra
Established Member
this next spring/summer im gonna run a diff water/anti mixture in mine. does it seem to make a big diff in temps and perf? whats a good combo you guys run?

shadowcoupe

Good reminder. Happen to me a few years back when we had a freak freeze. Ended up cracking my intercooler and filling up the lower intake with coolant. I was not happy...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
20% antifreeze is good to approximately 20 degrees F and will allow most of the southern guys to just run one mixture year round.

30% is good to almost zero F and will cover much of the US.

40% is good to almost 10 below zero F.

Find out what your low temp possibilities for your area and put in a new mixture, this will refresh your corrosion protection and assure that you don't freeze anything up.

680.jpg

Don't Fill Her Up with Antifreeze, Alaska Science Forum

Notice how anything beyond 60% antifreeze starts to reduce the effectiveness of the freeze protection.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
20% antifreeze is good to approximately 20 degrees F and will allow most of the southern guys to just run one mixture year round.

Find out what your low temp possibilities for your area and put in a new mixture, this will refresh your corrosion protection and assure that you don't freeze anything up.

680.jpg

Notice how anything beyond 60% antifreeze starts to reduce the effectiveness of the freeze protection.

Great info... I did not know that :beer:

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member

680.jpg

You learn something new everyday I dont like running anything over 50/50 for cooling purposes but I had no clue that antifreeze would freeze by itself.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
No it's straight antifreeze. I f*cked up. I'll flush and make a mix this weekend.

Alot of people just don't realize that. That's why most just say do a 50% mix. because that covers theo whole US.

Straight antifreeze will also run hotter in the summer.

Hey, we all learn.

randg4603

Established Member
Alot of people just don't realize that. That's why most just say do a 50% mix. because that covers theo whole US.

Straight antifreeze will also run hotter in the summer.

Hey, we all learn.

Thanks for not being harsh!

While I have (anyone's) attention;

When I drain, I most likely won't recover an entire gallon, correct? That being said, should I base a 50/50 mix of off what I recover or off of what I assume to be 1/2 gallon "stuck" in the system?

Basically should I drain and add only distilled water or 50 water/50 coolant?

Any insight is appreciated!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
You really only need 50/50 if you're living in the arctic circle but like Jimmy said 30-35% is good for almost any weather in the U.S., us southerners can push that closer to 20% depending on climate.

Users who are viewing this thread