PAC springs, anybody tried them?

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
Hello everybody I picked up a set of PAC 1223 springs here for my build due to the fact livernois was out of stock of their 4V springs for what seemed to be quite some time and also because they are supposed to be drop in just like the livernois spring (no retainer required). I called livernois and they told me PAC makes their springs however their's have a slightly higher load tolerance for a more radical cam.
Before I put them in I would like to know if anybody else has had experience with them as I found a thread by helomech over at modfords that said the 1223s are NOT drop ins.
PAC valve springs don't fit.. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
If anybody can vouch for the PAC springs with any first hand experience as to whether they fit and what kind of cam they used them (and how well they performed) with it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,
--Garrett

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I can't comment on fitment, but as a company PAC is without a doubt STATE OF THE ART!

I went to an engine builders seminar in Orlando just before the PRI show and Jason Youd from PAC Racing Springs gave a really awesome session.

Once you get the correct spring they will be great.

Last edited:

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
I would listen to helomech- dude knows his shit
I agree thats what made me weary, helomech tends to be a knowledgeable dude when it comes to these cars not to mention it sounded like he tried the springs out first hand with no luck.
I can't comment on fitment, but as a company PAC is without a doubt STATE OF THE ART!

I went to an engine builders seminar in Orlando just before the PRI show and Jason Youd from PAC Racing Springs gave a really awesome session.

Once you get the correct spring they will be great.

Its funny I had never really heard of them before recently however the more research I do it seems as if they produce springs for many big name companies out there, not just livernois. Apparently many crower springs are produced by PAC as well, so in turn they are really the master mind behind the whole process. I need to give PAC a call to see what they have to say about the situation, though it is hard with my schedule to do so before they close. Hoping to get a firm answer here soon though so I can make provisions before its too late!

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
We're currently waiting on a shipment of 4V springs. Our spec 4V spring is only available through us and we typically have to order 10,000 at a time.

-Rick

AirFlowEngineer

Established Member
I used to work in a race shop in NC where I ported heads and intakes, performed valve jobs, and set up cylinder heads. The company I worked for manufactures all of PAC's retainers, spring locators, and spring cups. Jimmy is right, PAC springs are state of the art! That's why KB Racing, John Force Racing, RCR, and many other top teams use PAC. PAC is the performance/racing division of the Peterson Spring Corporation, who is most likely the largest manufacturer of spring products. Chances are the valve springs in your daily driven car were manufactured by the Peterson Spring Corporation.

I have installed PAC springs on many types of cylinder heads ranging from typical SBC to 5.0 inch bore space 800 inch Nitrous Pro Mod cylinder heads. As far as the fitment, on the springs that I have installed the retainer should fit snug. PAC typically makes it so that the ID of the spring on the retainer end should snap into the retainer, we're probably only talking about a .0005 clearance. This is unlike springs I have installed from Comp, where the retainer just lies in place on top of the spring. I'm guessing here, but I think the reason PAC makes the fit tighter than what people are traditionally use too is to help additionally stabilize the valve spring.

I don't have any personal experience with the 1223, but out of all the different PAC valve springs I've installed, they all have the same fit.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I used to work in a race shop in NC where I ported heads and intakes, performed valve jobs, and set up cylinder heads. The company I worked for manufactures all of PAC's retainers, spring locators, and spring cups. Jimmy is right, PAC springs are state of the art! That's why KB Racing, John Force Racing, RCR, and many other top teams use PAC. PAC is the performance/racing division of the Peterson Spring Corporation, who is most likely the largest manufacturer of spring products. Chances are the valve springs in your daily driven car were manufactured by the Peterson Spring Corporation.

I have installed PAC springs on many types of cylinder heads ranging from typical SBC to 5.0 inch bore space 800 inch Nitrous Pro Mod cylinder heads. As far as the fitment, on the springs that I have installed the retainer should fit snug. PAC typically makes it so that the ID of the spring on the retainer end should snap into the retainer, we're probably only talking about a .0005 clearance. This is unlike springs I have installed from Comp, where the retainer just lies in place on top of the spring. I'm guessing here, but I think the reason PAC makes the fit tighter than what people are traditionally use too is to help additionally stabilize the valve spring.

I don't have any personal experience with the 1223, but out of all the different PAC valve springs I've installed, they all have the same fit.

Good stuff!:rockon::beer:

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
We're currently waiting on a shipment of 4V springs. Our spec 4V spring is only available through us and we typically have to order 10,000 at a time.

Thats understandable Rick, what do you think the eta is on the next batch?
-Rick

Thank you, interesting info! It seems like I keep hearing more and more good stuff about PAC. I shot helomech a PM regarding the fitment you describe and if he ever resolved the situation with the 1223s, I will post up with whatever I find out!

Users who are viewing this thread