Help me with my new car... too much smoke

sja177

Established Member
Hey everyone,
So... I just bought myself an 03 with 35K miles for a decent deal from a little shady local dealership. I test drove the car pretty hard, checked it out relatively thoroughly with my brother who has owned one and everything seemed fine (albeit after a little cleanup). Anyways, for the last few weeks the problems have just been rolling in, and I have been doing some searching and reading up but would like more direct answers.
The car has no cats (which were apparently not a problem for the dealership to smog), cat-back, upper and lower pulleys and an older style JLT intake. Other notes are that it was at one time gutted in the rear... has a larger fuel line running under the car going directly to the fuel rail and a breather on the passenger side bank.
The first issue I noticed was after a short 10-70 mph run I noticed smoke coming from under the hood. I thought it was the fuel line initially because the smoke was coming from deep down on the passenger side exhaust and thought gas was dripping down (the fuel line was visually warn). I replaced the bracket, cleaned up the line and the changed the spring-lock attachment and thought that would be it. Next, the alternator pulley went out because the car actually had the wrong alternator on it so I had to replace it and one of the tensioners. Thinking my worries were over, I noticed the smoke to become more abundant under the hood after any load. The breather seems to have a lot of blow-by with oil sprayed around it so I assumed that it was actually oil being sprayed from it onto the exhaust, but the with the hood popped and revving it, I can see smoke coming from the passenger side area by the headers and a mist coming from the breather.
Finally (to those who are still reading) the car has a white smoke coming from the exhaust (even when warm) now.
I haven't driven it hard since all of these problems started, and they seem to be racking up. The exhaust doesn't seem to be blue in color, but it doesn't smell like coolant. There isn't a wideband on the car so I don't know what my A/F ratio is to see if its running rich...and the excessive blowby makes me believe that it's probably the rings. A local shop thinks I should replace the intake, eliminate the breather and replace the lower pulley to begin with.

The car makes great power and breaks the 315s lose with ease but seems to run out of steam on the freeway (from what I understand this is attributed to the pulley set up). WTF did I get myself into and should I be expecting to buy a new block soon or what? Thanks.

sja177

Established Member
BTW, Please dont give me any shoulda, woulda, couldas...I already know I messed up. Where do I go from here?

mach1033

Established Member
You failed to mention what's mods are on the car???? Like if you have a ported blower, what fuel system you have etc etc.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Id get a hydrocarbon tester for the coolant system, that will help diagnose a blown head gasket since you have white smoke out of the tailpipes.

Id follow that up with a compression test (if anything is funny, then a leak down test may be in order as well). Thatll help sort out if its major or issues or minor annoyance.

sounds to me like it was modded to hell, hurt then put back as close to stock as possible, hopefully Im wrong

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
one thing you need to do is find out what is causing the smoke from under the hood. could be something like oil dripping onto the (super hot) header, and causing smoke. definitely need to find out for sure where the smoke is coming from, and what is causing it (as far as under the hood is concerned...of course the smoke coming out of the tail-pipes is prob a whole other story.)

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Check your coolant. See if it looks like it has oil in it. Compression test is a good start as stated above. Good luck buddy

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Id get a hydrocarbon tester for the coolant system, that will help diagnose a blown head gasket since you have white smoke out of the tailpipes.

I'd follow that up with a compression test (if anything is funny, then a leak down test may be in order as well). Thatll help sort out if its major or issues or minor annoyance.

sounds to me like it was modded to hell, hurt then put back as close to stock as possible, hopefully Im wrong

This.

A compression test done after the fact is still better than one never done at all.

sja177

Established Member
The mods I listed are essentially all I know. I don't have the means or know-how to see anything further (ported blower, fuel pumps, injectors, etc.)
I have a compression tester now and will be pulling the plugs tomorrow. Ill also have a chance to get under the car and see whats been dripping on the header...I did see a couple of spots of oil under the car today though directly below the headers so Im assuming that's whats been burning.
Im in Torrance, bought the car in Fullerton and its black with the stock wheels

Also thanks for the replies everyone.

Last edited:

serper3

Established Member
The mods I listed are essentially all I know. I don't have the means or know-how to see anything further (ported blower, fuel pumps, injectors, etc.)
I have a compression tester now and will be pulling the plugs tomorrow. Ill also have a chance to get under the car and see whats been dripping on the header...I did see a couple of spots of oil under the car today though directly below the headers so Im assuming that's whats been burning.
Im in Torrance, bought the car in Fullerton and its black with the stock wheels

Also thanks for the replies everyone.

ahh. i c. thought maybe if you were in the bay area i might have recognized the car and what was done to it.

keep us updated and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread