Help with possible bad piston rings

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Well gentlemen, I came to an unfortunate and regretful conclusion today: I think I have worn/bad piston rings. The car smokes on startup, blue smoke, and I recently noticed that it smokes when I get on the throttle too. I thought it was just on decel (bad guides) but I think it starts to visibly smoke at around 4000 rpm. Its not heavy, but at higher revs and wot my friend says I made a nice blue cloud behind me. That’s not what I want to hear. I haven’t done a leakdown or compression test yet but the symptoms seem to line up. The car has been pullied, intake, exhaust, heat exchanger, and kb boost-a-pump before I bought it. I'm assuming it was raced a lot more than I thought before I bought it too.

So besides me being a sucker, what do u guys think? There's no way I'm pulling the block for some bad rings right? It burns about a quart of oil every 2 months so its not that bad yet, but what do I do, wait until it gets worse/really bad? What are my options at this point? How bad is this for the performance of the car? Thanks in advance for the help guys. I'm in the South Florida area if that opens any doors.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Anyone think its something else? like a failed pcv system or anything? i was told before it was the valve guides but it smokes when under high throttle so i dont think its just that. i still havent checked the coils/plugs to locate the exact cylinder where there may be blow-by but im just thinking ahead. even if i locate the cylinder what do i do from there? Any other ides? anyone had anything similar happen? thanks

Last edited:

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Ok I'll try to get on that. Anyone think it's the pcv or something else? And shoudnt a check engine light come up with misfiring/low compression in the cylinders? Everyone seems surprisingly quiet about this...

Last edited:

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Anyone hav a friendly shop that wouldn't charge too much for the compression test? Or anyone got the tool we can use together and then part ways? Thanks guys

cbr repsol

Established Member
Anyone hav a friendly shop that wouldn't charge too much for the compression test? Or anyone got the tool we can use together and then part ways? Thanks guys

You can rent a compression tester at auto-zone. Once u are done with it they refund all your money as long as you dont damage the tool.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Well I haven't gotten to the leak down test yet but I did get a chance to pull all the plugs. No oil on any of them so that's good. If I was burning oil past the rings they would b a little oily right? Also I have a kenne bell boost a pump and from what I hear u have to pull the fuse for the fuel pump before cranking the engine a couple times. What about the boost a pump do I turn it to zero? Previous owner installed it and I don't know if it's on a separate or no fuse at all.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Anyone know what to do about the kb boost a pump?

If you have all the plugs pulled out you won't need to pull the fuse for the fuel pump, because there are no spark plugs to get flooded or fouled.
Just have the person who's cranking put the gas pedal to the floor and the injectors shut right off. TRUE STORY!

Pretty simple.

If you want to deactivate the fuel pumps anyway, you pull the fuse for the fuel pumps , NOT THE BOOST A PUMP. Owners manual should give the fuse info.

Now let's get cranking and see those compression numbers. Lol!

itSSlow98

Established Member
I wouldnt be suprised if it was a failed PCV valve or soemthing similar. Mine was smokign like a freight train because we couldnt get the crankcase evnted enough and as soon as I changed it around zero smoke.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
I wouldnt be suprised if it was a failed PCV valve or soemthing similar. Mine was smokign like a freight train because we couldnt get the crankcase evnted enough and as soon as I changed it around zero smoke.

^ this

determine of its something easy first before thinking its your piston rings, after you drive it and there is a cloud of blue smoke, open the hood and check you lines for oil, check to see if there is oil dripping on your headers somewhere, run your fingers along the valve cover gaskets, check everywhere for signs of oil.

Or..just take it into a good shop and have them look this car over for you. Better be safe than sorry.

What county do you live in? I can tell you of some shops to go to, PM if you want

Last edited:

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
I agree about checking the small stuff first. Of course I've done the things u mentioned before jumping to the rings lol. I just wanted to see if anyone else thought it might b the pcv or something else like that before I just replace it for no reason. I've been told it might b the valve guides which is ok with me it's the rings that I want to b sure r ok. I'm in broward county and asking gear heads around here what shop to go to is like asking if there is a god lol. Thanks guys.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Oh it's a 28,000 mile motor. The guy I bought it from swears he didn't abuse it and that he thought the plume on startup and high throttle was just from the tune. The guy before him was 65 and got cancer wen the car was completed so he literally ran it like twice on the street. He's alive tho so I'm not in a dead mans car!

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Does autozone carry our pcv valve in stock? Is there any reason to look at a write up or is it pretty straightforward?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
28k miles, and burns a quart of oil every 2 months?!? lol christ! my car has about 117k miles on it (its my year round DD, and has been for years), with similar mods as yours, and it burns ZERO oil every 2 months.

somethin definitely is not right!

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Yes moko I agree. But like I said it burns oil on startup and some said that might b a pcv problem. So now I'm hoping the pcv or sc is just sucking in too much oil and that's where the plume on startup comes from, but the more I look this up the less I know. Looks like I'm definitely making time for the comp test real soon. O n btw if these cobras running right burned ZERO oil, then no one would b buying catch cans to catch intake oil. So with no catch can, in the intake the oil goes, n then the cylinder. Sorry if I'm making this point if u actually hav a catch can I'm just saying these cars must burn a LITTLE oil.

Users who are viewing this thread