Intercooler

Mystichrome#365

Established Member
I apologize in advance if there is another thread about this my phone won't let me search the threads for some reason. So i was wanting to know if anyone has had any problems out of their stock intercooler? In the beginning of February my stock intercooler cracked the back and drained alot of coolant into the cylinders which caused me to do a complete rebuild. I chose the Lightning Force Performance intercooler this time. It was a bit pricey at $600 but it looked better made than a stock one. Another question, I have a moroso expansion tank for the intercooler what do you guys recommend to run in there as coolant? Any specific type of antifreeze? I appreciate any answers.

TRBO VNM

A lot of people have had theirs crack. Too much water in the coolant or straight water during winter/freezing months. But if you catch it early enough, you don't necessarily need a rebuild.

The LFP one, unless something has changed, is not by LFP. It is another part they provide that someone else makes. I had a friend local buy one, they charged him 3 times, sent him 2 and only refunded 1 charge and wouldn't let him return the second one. Typical service from LFP. I was thinking about buying the second one and I wasn't happy with the build quality. I put a straight end on the mounting surface and couldn't believe the gaps it had.

I usually use the stock fluid back in the intercooler system and engine unless I did a full flush and someone wants something different. I usually stick to a 50/50 mix.

Mystichrome#365

Established Member
I appreciate it. Luckily for me I had a great experience with LFP they charged me the correct amount and the part was at my door step 2 days later. The reason my stock one cracked was because the original owner of the car thought the expansion tank was just to pack ice in for racing and unfortunately he would run the car with nothing in the tank or water mixed with alcohol. He didn't know it circulated through the intercooler.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I appreciate it. Luckily for me I had a great experience with LFP they charged me the correct amount and the part was at my door step 2 days later. The reason my stock one cracked was because the original owner of the car thought the expansion tank was just to pack ice in for racing and unfortunately he would run the car with nothing in the tank or water mixed with alcohol. He didn't know it circulated through the intercooler.

:dw: ???

Mystichrome#365

Established Member
Tell me about it! Didn't know what happened car sat un running for five weeks. Causing the cylinder walls to rust in turn causing it to be bored .20 over. My pocket is now $6k lighter after full rebuild.

TRBO VNM

Glad that guy doesn't own it anymore. Some people are just morons and should not be allowed certain privelages. Unfortunately it cost you in the end.

Mystichrome#365

Established Member
Unfortunately it did but luckily I got the car for a steal and even after the money I put in it I could still make money on it. I don't plan on selling it any time soon however. The original owner did do all the expensive stuff to the car while he owned it so I am thankful for that! It is a bummer that this could have been avoided with a $10 jug of 50/50 antifreeze.

Users who are viewing this thread