Idler Pulley (bearing is shot?)

TBuck07

Underwater Basket Weaver
Established Member
Hey everyone,

Just recently bought my first Terminator, and am having some squeaking going on in the belt/pulley area. I think I found the source of the sound, my Billetflow 100 MM idler next to the blower pulley.

It almost looks to me and sounds to me that perhaps the bearing is shot. I planned to take the pulley off today and inspect the bearing in it. My question is that if I can get the bearing out, is that something I can just pick up somewhere and press a new one in?

I just figured if the bearing was bad it would eventually seize and cause problems, but its more so the squealing noise thats annoying. I can post a video up if it would help.

TBuck

EDIT: Video is posted here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQBcUgk44A0&list=UUpVZCQ_PGb4m90WhVdR_4Ag&index=1&feature=plpp_video

I took off the 100 MM idler, the pulley spun with a little resistance as I figured it wouldnt spin freely right? Maybe it is the blower pulley..Is it something else? I hope not :(.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If the surface is still nice and true where the belt rides, and you are able to get the bearing out, replacing the bearing would be the way to go.

Many part stores carry them and can cross the numbers over from the seal on the bearing.:beer:

TBuck07

Underwater Basket Weaver
Established Member
If the surface is still nice and true where the belt rides, and you are able to get the bearing out, replacing the bearing would be the way to go.

Many part stores carry them and can cross the numbers over from the seal on the bearing.:beer:

Thanks buddy, I can try that. I'll take it off shortly, gonna need an extra set of hands to hold down the belt tensioner while I take off the pulley..

Am I able to just press the new bearing in by hand or with perhaps a rubber end of a screwdriver? I guess I'll know better once I get it off. It is a BRAND new billetflow 100 mm idler, just weird that its making this noise. I dont think its the belt, as I've isolated it to that area.

Just a little leery about working on this car. I just bought it a few days ago, and dont want to break anything. I've worked on my previous cars before, but never had as nice of a car before, plus this is my dream car ;). But I'll get over that quickly.

20redfire03

Established Member
I just went though this and I replaced most of my bearings and still had the noise after periods of driving and turned out it was my belt that was in noise maker. But replacing the bearings is simple. Knock out the old and press in the new.

TBuck07

Underwater Basket Weaver
Established Member
I just went though this and I replaced most of my bearings and still had the noise after periods of driving and turned out it was my belt that was in noise maker. But replacing the bearings is simple. Knock out the old and press in the new.

10-4. Thanks for the help. Hopefully Autozone or a similar store will have this type of bearing. I thought I could see stuff coming out of it, so maybe it is bad.

IMG951346.jpg

TBuck07

Underwater Basket Weaver
Established Member
Heres a video to it..The noise kind of goes away once its driving and gets warmed up, its not as noticeable.

Cobra squeaking belt/pulley - YouTube

I took off the 100 MM idler, didnt see any signs of the bearing leaking. I put the pulley on my finger and spun it, it had some resistance but not a ton, I figured this pulley would not spin completely freely on its on as its there to provide tension, right?

It is a newer belt, it is not a Gator Belt, so maybe it is the belt? Any thoughts? I thought I isolated it to that area of pulleys, didnt think it was the blower pulley. Forgot to spin that one with the belt off..

Or is it something else? :(.

TBuck

20redfire03

Established Member
I know when I spun mine on the finger, it didn't feel 100% smooth but I figured I had them off might as well change them, so I changed all but 1 (the pulley right behind the line for brakes or powersteering). After a few drives and one day letting the car sit in the sun I cranked it up and got horrible belt squeal and soon I bought a new gatorback belt and so far noise free. Also I bought my bearings off ebay, I paid like 20$ or around that for 10 bearings maybe 15 don't quite remember but it was way more bearings for the same price as 1 from some parts stores.

Users who are viewing this thread