What causes this??

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

these are just two of the pistons! the rest are very similar.

Last edited:

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
Detonation. Pinging.

Yes I agree
But also aggresive timing and lean mixure equals excessive cylinder temps
The car was tuned when i bought it and this is the end result
How many others have ended up with bad tunes that have caused serious damage?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Yes I agree
But also aggresive timing and lean mixure equals excessive cylinder temps
The car was tuned when i bought it and this is the end result
How many others have ended up with bad tunes that have caused serious damage?

Aggressive timing and lean mixtures equals detonation and pinging which then causes excessive combustion chamber temperatures.

That is detonation evidence, without question.

Make sure that the rebuild includes a resolution to what ever caused the detonation or you will be doing this again.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Looks like detonation to me. Get a wideband and J&S Vampire anti-knock and then get a new tune.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
So what is your build plan?

If budget wasnt an issue ...... Lol
Just 9.0 to 1 manley pro platinum pistons. Everything else will the stock
Parts. Also balancing the crank to pistons,balancer,and flywheel and degreeing the cams. Oh ya..... A new tune!!!!!!!!! By a top notch tuner!!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes wideband is next on the list!!!
Just goes to show if you buy a tuned car you cant assume it was tuned
Correctly

Sucks to hear man. This has been preached to death! If you buy a cobra thats modded, put it on a dyno and make sure the a/f is where it needs to be!

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
Aggressive timing and lean mixtures equals detonation and pinging which then causes excessive combustion chamber temperatures.

That is detonation evidence, without question.

Make sure that the rebuild includes a resolution to what ever caused the detonation or you will be doing this again.

Yes very true. Ive done some research and i have trust with my new tuner
( every single piston is at some stage of melt.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
Looks like detonation to me. Get a wideband and J&S Vampire anti-knock and then get a new tune.

Ive heard that the valvetrain is quite loud on our motors so the vampires arnt quite as effective as they would be on say an LS Motor or Coyote.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ive heard that the valvetrain is quite loud on our motors so the vampires arnt quite as effective as they would be on say an LS Motor or Coyote.

I have one as do many others. Works great. Never heard that complaint before. Sure beats your piston problem ;)

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
I have one as do many others. Works great. Never heard that complaint before. Sure beats your piston problem ;)

Yes thats 100% true
The Part that sucks the most is, i paid good money for this car and this problem and a few others came with. Im really starting to feel ripped off ya know.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
If you paid good money for a supposed good running car then yeah I'd feel ripped off too. Oh well can't dwell on it man. Keep ya chin up, throw some forged pistons in there and enjoy the car.

I hurt my motor back in 09 doing back to back highway pulls. At the time I didn't have the money to do a stroker, cams and all that other good stuff. Sucks tearing it down to a bare block and not having $20k at your disposal lol but it's all good. I had to bore the block 20 thousands over and put in some diamond pistons with total seal rings and never looked back. Runs strong and hard. I lowered my CR too at the time in plans for big boost in the future. The lesson I learned is it killed throttle response and gas mileage so best I can tell you is stay stock CR or go up a little to 9:1 or so. Throttle response will be amazing and less boost required to get the same HP.

Have fun and hope you get to enjoying the car soon.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
Nothin i want more than go big on the build, but being in the housing market as first time buyer I have to be responsible. Thats what the wife sais anyway. I guess i got lucky because the block and heads are still good so just a ball hone and some 9.0 to 1 manley pro platinums with total seal rings. With the whipple runnin 15ish should keep me happy for a while.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you paid good money for a supposed good running car then yeah I'd feel ripped off too. Oh well can't dwell on it man. Keep ya chin up, throw some forged pistons in there and enjoy the car.

I hurt my motor back in 09 doing back to back highway pulls. At the time I didn't have the money to do a stroker, cams and all that other good stuff. Sucks tearing it down to a bare block and not having $20k at your disposal lol but it's all good. I had to bore the block 20 thousands over and put in some diamond pistons with total seal rings and never looked back. Runs strong and hard. I lowered my CR too at the time in plans for big boost in the future. The lesson I learned is it killed throttle response and gas mileage so best I can tell you is stay stock CR or go up a little to 9:1 or so. Throttle response will be amazing and less boost required to get the same HP.

Have fun and hope you get to enjoying the car soon.

I agree, I also like the increased compression model. You could run less boost and put less BTUs into the intercooler system, and have nice gains in off boost driveability and torque. Yet very near equal power will be still there.

I also think that Vampire is a must have for non stock boost terminators.:rockon::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread