Cooling issue

SVTSNAKE209

Established Member
So today I drove the car for 2 hours on the freeway heading home, parked it. The car was sitting for 2 plus hours took a 20 min drive, I was at the drivethrough getting some food and noticed steam coming thorough the hood and it smelled like anitfreeze. Shut off the car, popped the hood and antifreeze and and steem was coming from the degasser tank cap. I waited 15mins before I started undoing the cap. Inside the tank it was boiling. I let it sit for a hour, lost alot of coolent so i bought reg watter at the near by gas station. I added it to the degasser tank, shut off the AC and babied it home.

Engine temp never spiked.

It was a 100+ day here.

What could have casued this ? Stat? Water pump?

I do realize this i just created a air pocket by doing what i did. Going to do a full flush tomorrow, I bought 2 gallons of anitfreeze, 1 bottle of watter wetter and 2.5 gallons of distilled water I know im going to have to buy more now.

Thanks for any help or input.

Last edited:

SVTSNAKE209

Established Member
Most likely nothing to do with it, but its kinda weird that this happened the day after I got put on a O\R X pipe

Go through the basic check list:

1. Might have a bad cap.
2. T-stat could have failed. Remove and boil it to insure it opens properly.
3. Check to make sure fan is functioning properly.
4. Water pump has a weep hole that indicates failure
5. Inspect radiator for leaks.

Could be as simple as just a bad radiator cap. They do fail from time to time.

SVTSNAKE209

Established Member
I looked at the cap didn't see anything. I will pull the T-stat and do a boil check.

I will keep you guys updated....

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Go through the basic check list:

1. Might have a bad cap.
2. T-stat could have failed. Remove and boil it to insure it opens properly.
3. Check to make sure fan is functioning properly.
4. Water pump has a weep hole that indicates failure
5. Inspect radiator for leaks.

Could be as simple as just a bad radiator cap. They do fail from time to time.

The caps typically fail during an over boil, and the rad tank inlet mounting surface for the cap will often warp.

This can be checked with a fine tooth flat file, it can also be corrected the same way. BUT USE A NEW CAP!

The fan can be checked by turning on the A/C, it the fan does not come on or it sounds like crap........... get a new fan too.

SVTSNAKE209

Established Member
Did a full flush to day. Got a new cap and the fan is BAD. Its shaking violently from front to back.

Is there a upgrade I can get for it or should I just go with a OEM one?

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Some people including myself use a mark 8 fan assembly. You will need to fabricate two brackets and mod the wiring harness. They are the highest flowing fans you can buy. they do take alot of power to run. Some people use a fan controller with them but i have had mine on for about 6 years. I have a couple of them for 90.00 with tracking and insurance.

SVTSNAKE209

Established Member
Wish you would have been sooner with that. OEM Fan with shroud is on the way. How hard is it to change these fans ?

BBCOBRA

Established Member
Not too bad. Just remove the tanks. I actually pulled the IC tank over to the side with out unhooking it. The radiator expansion tank I just removed and refilled. there are only a couple of bolts that hold the fan on. the other side has clips that hold it in place. It is a tight fit but it will wiggle right out from the top.

My fan went out last year and I had the hardest time finding the problem. Every time I checked it it was running just fine. It was intermittently shutting off and it took a while to catch it. When I took it off it would barely spin.

Last edited:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Some people including myself use a mark 8 fan assembly. You will need to fabricate two brackets and mod the wiring harness. They are the highest flowing fans you can buy. they do take alot of power to run. Some people use a fan controller with them but i have had mine on for about 6 years. I have a couple of them for 90.00 with tracking and insurance.

Do you have any pictures of it mounted in your engine bay? That said, how much thicker is the unit than the OEM to the cobra?

Users who are viewing this thread