Help- 03 cobra /oil spray on my firewall

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
This is weird, I'm getting some oil spray on my firewall behind the blower? I have no idea as to where its coming from ? Where ever it is its spraying upwards from the back of the engine, and it does it more when under boost, not so much when you drive it normal, has anyone ever experienced this or know anyone who has, any help would be greatly appreciated

Don't think that it's a valve cover gasket because you can run your finger all the way around them and there is no oil?

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
I'm thinking it's the lower intake gasket, how hard is it to remove and replace, does anyone have a how to write up on this

Thx

Blueline

Established Member
Check the PCV hose. Its prob. damaged and sparying under boost. This hose goes from under the lower intake back up to the back of the blower. Its the bigger one.

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
Check the PCV hose. Its prob. damaged and sparying under boost. This hose goes from under the lower intake back up to the back of the blower. Its the bigger one.

Thought about that too, either way the Intake manifold will need to be removed in order to see if its a faulty hose, also it only sprays on the fire wall under boost, if you drive normal it doesn't do it

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
That must be it then, Whould this affect boost as well, seems like boost doesn't hold like it used to

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
All other lines are in good shape no issues

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
Forgot to update this, it was indeed the PVC hose that was going to the lowere mani, had a nice little slit in the hose, I won't ever have that issue again, the PVC system has been eliminated :)

cj428mach

Established Member
I believe my car is doing the same thing. Does anyone think I can just remove the blower belt, the intake manifold bolts, and then just tilt up the blower at the rear and get a new hose slipped on there? I don't really want to be draining coolant, fuel lines, and all that other BS. I have an extremely petite girlfriend if I need to get tiny hands and arms under the intake to do it I have access to some.:uh oh:

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
You have to remove the blower. I removed the blower, lower mani, valve covers by my self. The blower and mani are really easy, can be removed and installed in less than 2 hrs. As far as the blower antifreeze, I used a syringe and removed most of the coolant from the heat exchanger overflow, there wasn't much left in the blower. It's not bad at all just google cobra supercharger removal

Last edited:

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
As far as the fuel rail. You Don't have to disconnect. just pull the rail off the injectors and move to the side. Just make sure to release the pressure by pushing the valve that's on the fuel rail

cj428mach

Established Member
You have to remove the blower. I removed the blower, lower mani, valve covers by my self. The blower and mani are really easy, can be removed and installed in less than 2 hrs. As far as the blower antifreeze, I used a syringe and removed most of the coolant from the heat exchanger overflow, there wasn't much left in the blower. It's not bad at all just google cobra supercharger removal

Can you remove the blower and lower manifold in one piece? I'm so mad about this but if I'm going to do it I might as well plumb the line with braided AN line so it'll last a long time. It so stupid to have to remove the intake for this rubber hose. Ford should of made it a steel line to the rear of the intake then go rubber.

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
Can you remove the blower and lower manifold in one piece? I'm so mad about this but if I'm going to do it I might as well plumb the line with braided AN line so it'll last a long time. It so stupid to have to remove the intake for this rubber hose. Ford should of made it a steel line to the rear of the intake then go rubber.

You can remove as one Peice, it will be more difficult though and you would be more likely to drop/scrach somthing in the engine bay, trust me when I say it is very easy to remove in 2 peices not to mention its easyer to maneuver.

cj428mach

Established Member
Ok thanks for your response and advice. Where was your hose damaged? Mine looks and sounds just like your problem. I was looking under the front of intake manifold with a mirror and I see a little oil grime in the galley. I then tried looking behind the rear of the intake with a mirror and the hose looks good but the oil is on the firewall just behind that rubber hose. I'd just hate to pull the intake and find out the hose is ok but it really sounds like its adding up to that being the problem.

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
Mine was slit about an inch away from where the hose went on the nipple on the bottom of the manifold, no matter what you try, it is damn near impossible to see under there, from what I could see with the snake cam and mirror everything looked OK, but that wasnt the case. Mine would only spray oil on the firewall under boost, wouldn't do it when driving normal. If you are getting oil in the firewall it can only be one of 2 things, valve cover gasket or bad PVC lines. Just do away with the PVC and never look back.

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
You will need these too:

Torq Specs

Lower intake Manifold to heads 89 inch lb, then 90deg turn

Blower to manifold-*Tighten the supercharger and CAC cooler assembly-to-lower intake manifold bolts, in the sequence shown, in two stages.*

Stage 1: Tighten to 2 Nm (18 lb-in).*
Stage 2: Tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).*

cj428mach

Established Member
You will need these too:

Torq Specs

Lower intake Manifold to heads 89 inch lb, then 90deg turn

Blower to manifold-*Tighten the supercharger and CAC cooler assembly-to-lower intake manifold bolts, in the sequence shown, in two stages.*

Stage 1: Tighten to 2 Nm (18 lb-in).*
Stage 2: Tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).*

Ok thanks, looks like I'll be borrowing my dad's (in-lb) wrench. I appreciate the suggestion but I think I want to keep the PCV system as I hate the oil that usually gets on the valve covers from an open system. LOL I know the pcv system isn't working that great for me. I'm going to go with some black braided line I have left over from my EFI conversion on my street rod.

Users who are viewing this thread