chevron techron

Mystic03

Established Member
Anyone put this in your gas and notice the cylinders any cleaner/running different?

always ran shell 91 great fuel!. then had to put chevron due to low fuel and car ran LIKE S*** rough idle..sounded like misses under decel will never put that crap in my car again only the corn...:uh oh:

racebronco2

Established Member
I use all kinds of gas but mostly am/pm. I have never noticed a difference in how the car runs. When i do go open tracking i almost always use a supposedly better grade of gas like shell and chevron.

Anabolic

Banned
Thanks, Have you had problems with it killing your octane rating by chance? My car has a small tick, I did adjust plug gap down -.03 from .36 to .33 it gapped then went away. I figured i put alittle to much in..
Have you seen any difference in the cylinders? I wanted to clean mine up some. I looked inside & had some crud ontop of my pistons lol (wich arnt thta old)

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I have no idea if it kills octane levels, never had the fuel tested with it in the tank.

I never pulled a plug to look inside.

I just been using it for years in all of my cars with zero issues.

Fact is my 1998 Windstar gets better MPG with it in the tank. Before I use it I get average 17mpg, with it in I get 18MPG and then when I fill up the tank again it goes back to average 17MPG. The increase of 1 MPG is only when I run the fuel treatment.

Best gas I've used in NJ...Shell 93 octane and BP 93 octane.

Car reacts very positively with Chevron Techron, BG 44K and Lucas fuel injector cleaner - 10ogallons treatment and Sea Foam cleaner.

Anabolic

Banned
I have no idea if it kills octane levels, never had the fuel tested with it in the tank.

I never pulled a plug to look inside.

I just been using it for years in all of my cars with zero issues.

Fact is my 1998 Windstar gets better MPG with it in the tank. Before I use it I get average 17mpg, with it in I get 18MPG and then when I fill up the tank again it goes back to average 17MPG. The increase of 1 MPG is only when I run the fuel treatment.

awesome those sound like good results. how often do you add? also have you ever used lucas oil stabilizer while using techron? if so how does that combo work?

Anabolic

Banned
Best gas I've used in NJ...Shell 93 octane and BP 93 octane.

Car reacts very positively with Chevron Techron, BG 44K and Lucas fuel injector cleaner - 10ogallons treatment and Sea Foam cleaner.

sweet! have you by chance been able to look in the cylinders if they cleaned up at all?

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I know the Vette guys love the techron. Couldn't say for sure if it has any positive/negative impact with the mod motors though..

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I use it once a year on the Cobra and twice a year on my other cars cause they get driven all year.

Yeah I had a C5 and I can verify the Vette owners love this stuff. The reason why is they dont drive the cars and the fuel varnishes up the sending units in the tanks and makes them read funny where they jump from 3/4 to 1/4 in a heartbeat.

The Chevron with Techron was the only proven thing that eliminated and fixed most varnished up sending units.

It fixed my car when I bought it and never had an issue afterwards, probably cause I actually drove the car not like other owners who think they can only be driven on sunny days when the temp is right and only for short drives.

I absolutely recommend this stuff cause it always has worked for me and if they are out of it I wait till they got more in!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Techron is a high quality product. Before Royal Purple came out with our own Max-Clean product, I was a regular techron user.

I prefer the concentrated version, use the standard dosing.

A lot of fuel cleaners on the market are fluff, just cheap point of purchase impulse stuff, without much of the actual ingredient that allows the carbon and coke deposits to burn off at lower temperatures. Techron is not one of these.:beer:

Because it is so new RP Max Clean is currently only available at Amazon.com, Summit Racing and Pace Performance. Pep Boys should also have it fairly soon.

As far as noticing how clean the engine got..... Not many folks have bore-o-scopes so there is not much you can actually see. The center of the piston is not typically the problem areas for coking.

Anabolic

Banned
ok thankyou jimmy. I'll try RP next time around. You have any feedback on penzoil or quakerstate oil? I was looking at eaither, leaning more towards penzoil because we have a sale at the local walmart.. 25$ for 1gal of syn.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ok thankyou jimmy. I'll try RP next time around. You have any feedback on penzoil or quakerstate oil? I was looking at eaither, leaning more towards penzoil because we have a sale at the local walmart.. 25$ for 1gal of syn.

Even mid-pack big name oils today are way better than they used to be, I'm sure you'll be fine with either of those.

However you most certainly are not doing yourself or your engine any favors by running a 20W-50 of any brand of oil.

20w50 RP and i like it, and people flame me.

RP HPS 5W-30 is under 10 bucks a quart at Summit and a few other places, and it has higher film strength than most other oil company's FULL RACE OIL.

It has got to be the best bang for the buck on the planet as far as high performance motor oil goes.

Anabolic

Banned
2050 was 2 oil changes before. Since then Iv heard good things about penzoil & quaker state. So wanted to change back down to 530 especially after the new gaskets everywhere up front. Was thinking eaither of those with lucas.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I use Redline SI-1 before every oil change.

Redline SI-1, Chevron Techron, and Gumout Regane are the only ones that are not snake oil. And I guess RP, but I haven't seen a data sheet yet bu given their rep I would assume it's just like the redline stuff

Edit: just read that the RP stuff does contain PEA so it's a legit cleaner.

Last edited:

46stang

Established Member
Techron at the pump will help prevent build up but it isn't concentrated enough to break it down once it's there, for the most part. Now if you buy it in concentrated form and add it to your tank it will definitely clean out the carbon. I used it on my old gt, once a year for 4 years. did a PI head swap on it and when i took the heads off everything looked nearly brand new inside. My only word of caution is don't over use it!! I put in two bottles in a matter of a few weeks and it killed my injectors. Ford uses a teflon coating in the injectors to help them stay cleaner longer and I think the concentrated levels I used that one time ate it off, because the car developed all kinds of misfires. lol. I replaced all the injectors and it ran smooth as glass again. So i switched to once a year or about 10,000 miles and no problems and intake runners are clean with no carbon.

Users who are viewing this thread