04 cobra oil cooler / adaptor leaking

helpmytermi

Established Member
new to forums to post a cry for help.

04 cobra oil cooler leaking from weap hole. It started just small leak, then was gushing like I kicked over an oil can.
They said the adaptor is fine, but oil cooler needs to be replaced which we know that ford doesnt make them. My car has been in the shop for 3 weeks and they are zero help. I dont know much mechanically, I asked them to check o rings etc.
They dont have any solution and seem to not want to find one.
I need some help asap. Thanks guys!

Kyle

helpmytermi

Established Member
Sorry for the forum fail/move.

Update:
Mechanic said o rings can't be replaced, adaptor needs new gasket.
Finding an oil cooler seems impossible.
What a head ache

Mystic03

Established Member
Sorry for the forum fail/move.

Update:
Mechanic said o rings can't be replaced, adaptor needs new gasket.
Finding an oil cooler seems impossible.
What a head ache

do you know this mechanic personally...if not take your car else where i just repaired an oil cooler with o-rings...back to new

GTpower01

Established Member
You need a new O-Ring!!! You need the blue one for the iron 03-04 cobra block..... The orange ones are for the teskid aluminum blocks 96-98... Make sure, as I think felpro makes them both the same color so you have to make that clear.

helpmytermi

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for replies/help.
I'm guessing the ford house mechanics are either dumb lazy don't want to fix with the o rings or what.
Looks like I'm going to order the speed concepts o ring kit for only 45$
I also need a gasket for the oil cooler adapter and can't seem to find one.
I might as well replace all gaskets/ o rings while the oil cooler / adapter out correct? (Sorry for lack of knowledge)

Once they fix it I'm never going back.

Last edited:

helpmytermi

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for replies/help.
I'm guessing the ford house mechanics are either dumb lazy don't want to fix with the o rings or what.
Looks like I'm going to order the speed concepts o ring kit for only 45$
I also need a gasket for the oil cooler adapter and can't seem to find one.
I might as well replace all gaskets/ o rings while the oil cooler / adapter correct? (Sorry for lack of knowledge)

Once they fix it I'm never going back.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
If it was me, I would replace every gasket/ o-ring. Might as well, you're already down there. Just make sure you lube the o-rings to avoid pinching. Oil should suffice.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
You'll find parts like these aren't really on the shelf at most places. They are available, just have to search around online and call around.

Steve at Tusca (formerly Tousley) is a big vendor here for OEM parts. He has almost everything. He's been helping members for years and can browse a 03/04 catalog with his eyes closed!

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Don't even screw around with buying a "good" used one, you'll have the same issues. I know I keep saying this, but these cars are getting OLD now. Low mile or high, OLD. Ken @ speed concepts has put together a nice kit. I've used 2 on 2 different cars in last couple years, NO issues. Very straightforward install. The silicone o-rings from factory seem to get soft and simply disintegrate, Speec Concepts use a much superior Viton rings. And they include the 13mm hex socket. I realize you can piece the kit together cheaper ... But, what is your time worth ? For the price, saves me time, gas, etc. Fixed both coolers I have with NO issues whatsoever.

helpmytermi

Established Member
thanks for input!

update: I am going to replace all the rings and gaskets
parts should be in friday/saturday.

Ken at speed concepts is who I ordered my o rings/gasket kit from for a decent price. Mr. Ken couldn't have been nicer, he went out of his way to make sure Im good to go! Even sent my a pdf how to for it. If only Ford was this helpful.
Cant wait for parts to come in to get my termi back, I miss her.

With the Ford mechanics telling me it was unrepairable etc I think I'm going to do the orings and gasket, they can put the part back in. I dont want them destroying an o ring before it even goes in the car and them tell me "sir its still leaking oil, told you should have ordered a used oil cooler."
How is it that the problem is like 45-100$ issue and should have taken TOPS 1 week, but its been in the shop since ~nov 25. Im not sure still if they just dont know anything about the oil cooler, or lazy, or what. But my girlfriend doesnt jerk me this good.

Anyways such a pain in the neck for small issue that Ford doesnt have a clue about, some could say well I should have known and read up on it etc.
Well I take it to shop and pay people to fix things right, but this time these Ford guys have really made a mess of all this. sorry for rank

This site and members have been nothing but great to me. Thanks for all the help and comments.

mikecr50

Established Member
Ford does not service the cooler, plain and simple. Should they yes, but they don't. Not a lot of mechanics left out there, no shortage of parts changers though.

Blueline

Established Member
There are some O rings right now for sale in the market section for 5 bucks if anyones looking.

Users who are viewing this thread