Q about replacement cats needed for Bassani catted-X

BlueMonkey

Established Member
I have a bassani catted x on my 2003 cobra, pullied & bolt-ons, 480ish at the wheels. The 2 converters are rattling due to honeycomb being loose/disintegrating. (I did check heat sheilds, that is not the problem.)

Q-what are the best replacement catalytic converters? Don't want to spend $$ I don't have to, but would like the new cats to last.

LMR sells spun coverters, pypes are $209/pair (stainless) and flowmaster are $160/pair. Are these any good? What about the magnaflow cats? Or other options?

Thanks!

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I got my pair magnaflows for ~$110 shipped from WunderCarParts on Amazon a couple years back.

BlueMonkey

Established Member
Thanks for the replies! Steve, it's definitely worth an extra $150 or so for me not to have to hear my wife complain about the exhaust smell when she rides in this car! I'll probably go with the magnaflow spun metallic cat (PN-59956)-from what little detailed info I can find about aftermarket converters online, these have a metallic core and *should* last awhile.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
It's likely the cats you have were someone "going cheap" and purchasing the less expensive ceramic substrate cats. You should really step up to a metallic substrate cat on a supercharged vehicle. They flow better, and deal with the higher EGTs better.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Glad to see this post, I am pretty sure one of my cats took a crap on me. My exhaust started sounded really "muffled" or like it had leak and car seems down on power. I haven't can't find any exhaust leaks. The previous owner (or dealership) had weld in cats so I am sure they had to be cheap. I replaced all my plugs and did a compression check just to make sure I didn't have any other issues first and everything is good there. I am thinking of bassani x pipe with high flow cats. Anyone else running these and what do you think of them? Before I jump on these has anyone had a cat go bad and what was your symptoms?

BlueMonkey

Established Member
ScreamingFast-mine did something similiar. Last month exhaust started rattling from the firewall area, and exhaust tone suddenly had a deeper tone than usual. After I got in boost I heard something travel through the exhaust, and according to my muffler guy, part of the biscuit lodged in my muffler. Rattling continued, stopped, and then I had a slight exhaust leak-remaining biscuit rotated & partially clogged the passage through the converter.

This happened to x brand ceramic cats in my bassani catted x. Not sure if they were bassani cats, or random aftermarkets as exhaust was done by PO years ago. I ordered magnaflow 59956 metallic substrate cats to replace, but haven't had them welded-in yet.

Users who are viewing this thread