does anyone know the paint code for wheels..

PJM99

Established Member
I'm going to be stripping down and repainting my wheels over the winter. Does anyone know the paint code for the color? Thanks

buddha93

Established Member
This is a PPG code that was cross referenced from the Ford number.

DBC 33896

I think Richard or someone else provided the number in an old post. I'm getting ready to do a set myself and curious to see how the paint matches up. If you beat me to it, repost.

PJM99

Established Member
Thanks, I plan to post a "do it yourself" post for everyone with pictures.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
It matches up VERY well, guys. The number is a basecoat number, meant to be used with a clearcoat follow up. Unsure if they have a single stage cross reference or not...

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
buddha93 said:
This is a PPG code that was cross referenced from the Ford number.

DBC 33896

I think Richard or someone else provided the number in an old post. I'm getting ready to do a set myself and curious to see how the paint matches up. If you beat me to it, repost.

yeah I gave that number out a long time ago. :thumbsup:

buddha93

Established Member
93Cobra#2771 said:
It matches up VERY well, guys. The number is a basecoat number, meant to be used with a clearcoat follow up. Unsure if they have a single stage cross reference or not...

I'd like to check into a single stage paint. I thought oringinally that the wheels were clearcoated, but after seeing the OEM stuff flake off, it's pretty evident that they aren't cleared.

I've got a really good automotive paint supply store in town with some knowledgeble guys behind the counter so I'll have to see what they think.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
buddha93 said:
I'd like to check into a single stage paint. I thought oringinally that the wheels were clearcoated, but after seeing the OEM stuff flake off, it's pretty evident that they aren't cleared.

I've got a really good automotive paint supply store in town with some knowledgeble guys behind the counter so I'll have to see what they think.

Why? The clearcoat acts as a protectant.

buddha93

Established Member
What I mean is if I can get in the same form, as say OEM touchup paint, that would be great. One less stage to paint. Otherwise I'll clear them to get the right finish. ;-)

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Actually, I've been using the PPG as a touch up, without any clearcoat. It matches up VERY well. Honestly, clearcoat on top of the touchup spot will most likely stand out like sore thumb on our 13yo rims...

The paint store should hopefully be able to cross reference the PPG part number if that is the route you should choose to go...

buddha93

Established Member
Update: sort of.....lol

Well, I talked to the paint guys in town and they couldn't cross reference it with anything they had. He called it a "fleet" paint? I didn't know (and still don't) what that meant, but he said the hardener alone was like $100. Yikes! So anyway, I had the wheel with me and none of the paint chips they have were even close. Similar colors, but like someone said this is a very high metallic paint.

I ended up going to the PPG guy in town and it set me back $56 for a quart. They also list it as a fleet paint with a name of, get this, "Huffy Bicycle". Whatever it's called, it looks to be a really close match, sans clear.

I've got the next two weeks off work, so I'll be finishing them up soon and I'll post up a few pics of the finished wheel if all goes well. Later.

buddha93

Established Member
Here they are with NO clearcoat. Pretty metallic stuff. I post the final pics with the clear.

basecoatwheel.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

basecoatwheel2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

EV1L_SVT

Established Member
buddha93 said:
Here they are with NO clearcoat. Pretty metallic stuff. I post the final pics with the clear.

basecoatwheel.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

basecoatwheel2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So... "DBC 33896" is what you used?

buddha93

Established Member
Correct. Sorry for the grainy pics......low pixal camera on my Handycam. I'm going to see I can borrow my buddies camera for some final pics, with an OEM finished wheel thrown in the pic for reference.

Orion1123

SVT Poster
Established Member
I would like to see those pics too, once you clearcoat. I was going to do the same thing this winter while it is just sitting in the garage!

buddha93

Established Member
I cleared them just hours ago guys and they turned out great. I considered using a cheap clear, but after all the prep work I put into the wheels and decent paint, why cheap out in the end. I used PPG 2021 and the stuff goes on very nice and man does it ever level itself out. I probably won't have to do any sanding, maybe just a nice buff job when it's cured. :rolling:

I'd say the number Lee provided is deadnuts on, or at least as close as you'll get. I'll be borrowing a better pixel camera from a buddy for the pics. I'll get them posted ASAP.

On a side note, I'm thinking of selling the remainder of the paint and clear I've bought the last week. I now have 6 OEM that are like new with 2 widened wheels that are also like new. I don't forsee me needing to use this anytime soon and I know that the hardener for instance does have somewhat of a shelf life. I'd rather it get used now rather then go bad sitting on a shelf. I may even consider painting a set for anyone that's interested and don't feel like they're up to it. If anyone thinks they may be interested in either option, shoot me an email.

buddha93

Established Member
Ok, here are some much better pics. Here is the finished wheel on the left next to an uncleared one. The other one has a small blem that I want to fix before clearing over.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

A close-up of the two wheels.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a finished wheel with the cap on it. You can see what look like white specks, but it's just some of the metal flake sparkling from the camera flash.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

And finally, one more close up a finished wheel.......shiny, ain't it. :-D

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

All in all, this was a pretty simple project if you guys are looking into doing it yourselves. My only tip is when prepping the wheels, DO NOT strip the wheels bare unless absolutely necessary. The fins of these wheels have a very heavy layer of primer/leveler. If you strip it to bare metal, your going to spend a lot of time building them back up to the smooth OEM surface. I was able to scuff all but 1 of mine. The oddball one had been redone previously and had some really bad chips so I did strip it and I had to spend a lot more time on it and I still didn't get it back to %100 OEM, but it's not real noticeable.

Total cost of this project:

PPG DBC Base Quart $52.10
PPG DT870 (reducer) Gallon $35.50
PPG DCU2021 (clear) Quart $45.30
PPG DCX8 (hardener) Quart $85.55 *(This is a lot of hardener. You only need a tiny portion of this. This was the only size available to me. If you can find a smaller container, do so and it will save you a bunch of cash) *

So with tax and everything it cost me a little under $240 and I've done a full set (4) of wheels. I could probably do at least another 8 with the material I have left.

Users who are viewing this thread