Transmission oil? T56 Magnum related

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I am getting this transmission in a few months God willing, and is really puzzled on what type of transmission fluid I should throw in. I use a lot of Amsoil products but on the product look up application on their website really doesn't specify for aftermarket transmissions. Should I just look up at GT500 specs since the T56 has TR6060 internals with a few other goodies. Does it take ATF? or regular fluid? :shrug: :??:

I just had Amsoil's Automatic ATF put in my T56 just a few days ago...and I swear this T56 just straight up feels much better than the Castrol ATF that was previosuly in there. I think I'm also seeing a slight increase in mpg, but I'm going to do further testing to see if its legit. I personally have come to love all of Amsoil's products.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^^ the same thing happened to me 22 years ago when I switched to the Amsoil ATF in my T-5 89GT, like nite and day difference.. I get clowns to this day telling me you can't use that type of fluid with paper synchro's and I tell them there a T-5 in Florida still functioning perfectly with over 200K miles on it, never been taken apart or rebuilt, over 200 NOS Dragstrip passes with full slicks. Seemed to work fine for me and the current owner whose still local.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I am getting this transmission in a few months God willing, and is really puzzled on what type of transmission fluid I should throw in. I use a lot of Amsoil products but on the product look up application on their website really doesn't specify for aftermarket transmissions. Should I just look up at GT500 specs since the T56 has TR6060 internals with a few other goodies. Does it take ATF? or regular fluid? :shrug: :??:

Amsoil ATF..

Correct, Amsoil Synthetic ATF is the way to go. Requires one gallon.

We put the same fluid in 98 Saleen's T56 Magnum. Ask him what difference it made.

Last edited:

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I Always run Synchromesh, and absolutley love it, this is for a G-Force spec'd T-56, probably stronger than the Magnum. try it if you don't let what others have reccomended.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Backwhen I got my new 83 gt with. T5 first oil.change I used 80/90 weight. When it was winter it was a bitch to shift that shit came out.

What to use in to older TKO trans? I got synco mesh GM in it now.
thanks

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Backwhen I got my new 83 gt with. T5 first oil.change I used 80/90 weight. When it was winter it was a bitch to shift that shit came out.

What to use in to older TKO trans? I got synco mesh GM in it now.
thanks

If the TKO is spec'd for synchromesh......my first choice is Amsoil ATF Synchromesh. This has also been a suitable substitute for ATF in the T56 and T6060 in warmer climates, and on road extended racing conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread