Is Valvoline Maxlife the best non-synthetic DexronIII/Merco ATF fluid

Jroc

Established Member
I did some reading and on BTOG it seems to be the favorite of most who don't want to go the synthetic route. I don't really want to do synthetic unless I did a complete flush and that can probably get expensive as a 4R100 holds quite a lot of fluid. Dexron is GM's ATF name where Mercon is Fords and I'm not talking about newer Dexron VI or Mercon V, etc fluid, but just regular old fashion ATF fluid.

I changed my brake booster over to a hydroboost unit I got from a wrecked 02 F250 PSD the other day and used Pennsoil ATF fluid in my power steering system, and am thinking I might try some Valvoline Maxlife ATF fluid in it as I think I need to flush it better. It's getting better on my truck, but I think that my power steering system hasn't completely bleed itself yet.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You need to post a thread about your hydro-boost setup in the Gen 2 forum.

I've used the Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my old DD Jeep in the past and it worked fine. That's about all the info I can give on it.

Jroc

Established Member
You need to post a thread about your hydro-boost setup in the Gen 2 forum.

I've used the Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my old DD Jeep in the past and it worked fine. That's about all the info I can give on it.

Thanks SID!

I will be happy to do a little write up in a week or two, but I'm actually doing more to my hydroboost system. The OEM PSD hydroboost mounts the petal lower(about flush with the gas petal) than the stock L's booster which I'm not really liking. The brakes work great but the petal sits too low for my liking. Luckily there's a fix for this. :beer:
THI 4001 Stake type Hydroboost brake pedal rod [THI 4001] - $15.00 : Tallon Hydraulics, Your Machine Shop!

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A quality synthetic ATF will mix with any amount of previously used conventional ATF.

A complete flush is simply not needed, :shrug:unless you just want a complete fill.

The best ATFs will be full synthetics, and yes they will mix and be compatible.
Royal Purple Max ATF definitely does anyway, and I would imagine any other well known quality synthetic will as well.

Users who are viewing this thread