IronTerp's Ice Box Strategies.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Instructional write-up by : IronTerp

Ice Box Strategies
1) It is possible to get a IAT2 cooling benefit from the PFab, LFP, True Forge style intercooler reservoir if used correctly. Certainly having a larger capacity tank in the trunk can have big advantages, but for the majority of us, the expense and hassle of this setup does not merit the limited track opportunities where it will come in handy. Plus, it weighs more!!! (even though the weight is at least over the rear wheels.....).

2) Obviously cooler days in the 50's and 60's will help here, but this is where you're going to have the best opportunity to set PR's with Terminators anyway. We race for fun in the summer and for records in March, April, October, and November! It will certainly help in the heat, but not to the same degree.

3) Track rentals or uncrowded/short wait track days, where you do not have to wait long in the staging lanes, is a big benefit.

4) You need to cool down the intercooler/supercharger as much as possible after you arrive at the track or make a run, by draining and adding ice in the pit area and letting the IC pump circulate for 20-30 minutes. Make sure your battery is good to go here! Do this immediately after you return to the pits. Sometimes I'll go thru 2 iceing cycles here, but one good one will usually cool it down pretty well.

5) Recommend a 45 to 60 minute wait between runs.

6) To maximize your iceing strategy, the last thing you do before leaving for the staging lanes is drain the reservoir tank again and then add 4-5 "blocks" of ice, (see pic below), into your reservoir tank, topping it off with typical bag ice chips. Your IC pump will be off at this time. You can just use regular chip ice, but it will probably be gone during your run in 2nd gear or so, while the blocks can possibly last through 4th gear.

7) Advance to the staging lanes and keep your car off as much as possible while you're waiting in line. This will conserve your ice and keep your supercharger cooler.

8) Make your run and watch your ET/MPH potentially improve to new records!

I fill 25 or so of these with water, (about 2/3rds full), the night before going to the track, and right before I leave for the staging lanes, pull 4-5 of them out of the cooler, tear the cup away from the ice block and drop the block into the tank.

Use this setup to "jumper" your IC pump in the pits:
255753.jpg

255754.jpg

TRBO VNM

hey dwight, where can we get an unlimited supply of gatorade cups? :poke: Do I need to call Fridge?

BTW, nice writeup.

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
It helps us Lighting guys with consistency during the summer heat. I have built a box similar to that in the bed with a 4 gallon cell that I drain after every pass. Works great. Be sure you insulate your lines and fill it with Antifreeze when your done.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
dyno graph of my runs...car was warm...3rd pull with no ice..then added ice

was just at the dyno tuesday and made my first "Ice Pull". just like at the track...added the ice...let it sit for a few minutes...then turned it on and made a pull. the graph speaks for itself

NoicevsIce.jpg

LS1_KILLA

Banned
how are you guys draining your reservoirs? are you all running straight water, and water wetter?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
how are you guys draining your reservoirs? are you all running straight water, and water wetter?

mine has a drain on it...and I was running straight water. after numberous Ice deposits and draining it develops into just water.

Turkish

The Perpetrator
Established Member
When you do the ice trick at the track, after several cooling cycles the fluid in the S/C intercooler will eventually turn to just water after you drain/fill, drain/fill several times as mention above. It wasn't uncommon for me to go to the track with water/coolant mixture in the I/C resevoir and by the time I left the track it would be straight water. When I got back to the house I would add some coolant or a bottle of Red Line water wetter in the I/C tank for occasional street driving.

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
I would just drain it all the way down as soon as I got there, then fill it with ice, and circulate. That coolant is so hot it melts the ice almost instantly, and fills it back up with water.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
did you use the correct terminals?

i used the small kiddie paper cups when i went to the track this past spring but after using them i noticed a wax film in my ic tank. i drained my system and flushed it out. im worried the wax is going to clog up my ic and he. anyone else have this problem? i might try some plastic or styrofoam cups this fall.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
your pump could be bad. try tapping the pump with a wrench and see if it comes on with the jumper wire in.

Nino S

Established Member
I have the LFP overflow tank and really appreciate this write up. I am going to try it out at the track but am concerned about losing all of the intercooler fluid when I drain it and refill it with ice. WHen I get back home from the track should I just drain all of the fluid (melted ice) out of the resovoir and refill it with water/coolant? should I just leave the water in it? what should be run in the tank when on the street and not running down the track? thanks!

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
I have the LFP overflow tank and really appreciate this write up. I am going to try it out at the track but am concerned about losing all of the intercooler fluid when I drain it and refill it with ice. WHen I get back home from the track should I just drain all of the fluid (melted ice) out of the resovoir and refill it with water/coolant? should I just leave the water in it? what should be run in the tank when on the street and not running down the track? thanks!

once you get home drain about half your tank or so and add coolant to it. thats what i do when i get home and plan on driving it around town some. you can just run water if you want but i would run some coolant because it acts as a lubricant for the pump. you dont need to run a 50/50 mix.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
When you drain the IC box between runs, do not let it go below the top of the drain nipple inside of your tank. Turn the pet **** valve off before you get to this point. You don't want to send air through your IC pump and risk the pump losing cavitation.

When you get back home, the "ideal" way to get your setup back to street manners is to refill with a 50% (+/-) coolant/distilled water mix. This will help to battle corrosion issues in your IC coolant system. However, if I'm going to the track often and regularly, I just leave the residue from the previous track day in the system. You're not going to hurt a thing doing this, but I'd get the appropriate coolant back int here if you're doing a lot of street driving and or it's approaching freezing temps.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
You guys with larger Intercooler boxes...do yall just let the water drain down in your engine bay? or syphon from the top? Just want to know if there is anything below the intercooler box I need to look out for that shouldn't be getting wet...I have a True Forged I/C box
Thanks

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
You guys with larger Intercooler boxes...do yall just let the water drain down in your engine bay? or syphon from the top? Just want to know if there is anything below the intercooler box I need to look out for that shouldn't be getting wet...I have a True Forged I/C box
Thanks

you should have a valve on the bottom or the side of your tank for the drain. attach a hose to it so it will drain on the ground and not all over your car. you don't want to track water back on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread