DDM Tuning 5000k Kit

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
i just put the 5k hi/lo and fogs in just now and i have a couple comments.

1. My high beams work, but when i flick the lights they dont move. only the fogs turn off and the beam stays in low. but it moves when i switch to high beams :shrug:

2. the 5k was more blue than I thought it was going to be, but i haven't seen it out of my garage yet.

3. The H10 "harness" is very tacky. An actual plug-in harness would have been nice. But hey it was simple enough.

4. the color at first in the fogs is the same as the heads, but when they heat to temp, the color fades to a completely different shade. anyone have this issue? I am sure it is because of the H10 bulb but i did not expect that much of a color change. im not sure if i like it or not yet. i was going for a real factory look in terms of color. and if you think of it, most typical factory hid cars tend to have a slightly different color in the fogs than the head lights anyway. so i guess ill have to just sit on it for a little and just let it click to me

Last edited:

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
Heres some pictures for you guys. No one seems to have put any up. I did my best to get good angles. the HID's are a bit*h to take pics of to show the color.

This pic is just showing the difference in color to stock. Don't mind the headlight hanging there haha. For some reason I could not for the LIFE of me get the side marker light out. So I let it hang there with a microfiber rag under it lol. Hopefully I never have to change that side marker bulb...

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

^5k Heads with stock fogs

Notice the color change. These are fully warm temps.
IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Overall the kit is a great buy for the buck. I tried to take as good of pics as I could to show the color change. I'm thinking if I get a 55w ballast for the heads, it will match the fogs. But Im not sure if I like the blue in the heads yet.

SBTerminator

Established Member
I have the 5k sets in the head lights and fogs. Yes the fogs are off a little, but it's a different bulb and housing. Still looks great IMO.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
I have the 5k sets in the head lights and fogs. Yes the fogs are off a little, but it's a different bulb and housing. Still looks great IMO.

how do your high beams work? at first i had the wires in the connector backwards i thought because it seemed like the high beams were my lows and the lows were my highs. and they also flicked when i had them like that. now that i reversed them, the hi/lo seems right but now they dont flick? have this problem by any chance?

mrose75

Established Member
Are you saying when you use the "flash to pass"(Pull back on the signal) they don't move and when you switch to high beams (Push the switch forward) they actually work? Call DDM Tuning, I had a problem with the HID kit I bought for my wife Denali and apparently GMC runs off of reverse polarity. Turned the plug upside down and was good to go.

I have installed my HI/LOs but not my fogs yet. The only problem I had was that my Hi was my low and my low was my hi. But I figured that out. Now they work well. Were the fogs straight forward? Where'd you end up sticking the ballasts for the fogs? And the Hi/Los for that matter? That was a pain in my a**.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
How is the low and high beam patterns? I purchased a kit from hidguy. The kit was nice but the design of the bulb vs our housing made for a horrible beam pattern. I ended up removing the head light kit and just running the fogs.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
How is the low and high beam patterns? I purchased a kit from hidguy. The kit was nice but the design of the bulb vs our housing made for a horrible beam pattern. I ended up removing the head light kit and just running the fogs.

yeah the beam pattern isn't the greatest, but it beats stock. My high beams are worse than my low beams. there is almost no difference. my low beams are better only because of the fog lights are illuminated as well. but thats what projectors are needed for.

Are you saying when you use the "flash to pass"(Pull back on the signal) they don't move and when you switch to high beams (Push the switch forward) they actually work? Call DDM Tuning, I had a problem with the HID kit I bought for my wife Denali and apparently GMC runs off of reverse polarity. Turned the plug upside down and was good to go.

I have installed my HI/LOs but not my fogs yet. The only problem I had was that my Hi was my low and my low was my hi. But I figured that out. Now they work well. Were the fogs straight forward? Where'd you end up sticking the ballasts for the fogs? And the Hi/Los for that matter? That was a pain in my a**.

I had the same issues. At first I had the red and white wire a certain way where as the 'flash to pass' worked but the beam seemed like it was always in high beam. So I reversed the red and white, and now the flash does not work at all but will still go in high beam. How did you fix your issue?

As far as the fogs go, its very straight forward. It helps a lot if you can get your hands on a lift too or at least get the car up as high as you can to work under there. I did not even take my housings out. I just unlatched the factory bulbs and disconnected them from the harness. The H10 kit will come with just ballasts like the 9007 kit. The only thing is mine did not come with the 3M tape which was annoying because I had to go buy some to mount the ballast. The difference between the 9007 kit and H10 kit is that the H10 does not come with a blue connector for the factory harness. So instead, you just simply have to insert the ground wire from the ballast to the ground in the factory harness. Same with the positive feed. Its tacky I know. You have to do this for each foglight. That's why I say it will be much easier to work underneath if you can get the car on a lift. You'll notice that the wires don't really plug in all the way. So what I did was get electric tape and wrap some around the ground and positive feed wire individually, then wrapped the two together to prevent them from shorting or any other mishaps. That's about it. After that just plug the DDM harness' together and test them out. Also when you go to put the H.I.D bulbs in the housing, you might notice that they give you a hard time to latch in. It will make it a whole lot easier if you can see in behind the fog light. It takes a little patience and its a tight fit, but they will latch in. As far as the ballasts for the fogs go, I just mounted the drivers side on the metal part of the bumper straight ahead and the inner left part on the passengers side easy access in case i have to dicconnect them. Just make sure to prep the metal so the 3M tape bites well.

I'll take some pictures on how I ran my wires up top but I'll describe it the best I can. I should note that I have a K&N FIPK and the stock battery so my mounting areas were limited. I mounted my driver ballast through the hole where the headlight housing would go into when installed , then I mounted it flat down on the metal base. So its more or less under the battery. Can't even see it. The passenger side ballast I mounted right under the intake cone. Another option you could do is mount them both right behind the headlights in that inner part before the engine bay. It looks just big enough for the slim ballasts. I didn't think of it until after I mounted mine. As far as the Hi/Lo distributor, I mounted that with 3M as well right next to the battery so that in case I ever need to trial and error the lights for connection issues, I can rule that out and see if it is connected firmly enough being that it is so accessable. It looks like it should be there too because I still have the battery blanket on my battery and I ran the wires between the battery and the blanket so you could not see them.

Overall my biggest pain was mounting the ballasts and that damn blue connector. It is such a pain in the ass to have to switch those damn wires around. I think I am going to switch the red and white back though so I can have my flash work again.

Hope this helps you. I'll take pictures today for you.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
Nice write up man. I mounted my hi/lo ballasts behind the headlights right before the engine bay. The hi/lo controller or whatever it's called I bolted to and existing bolt next to the radiator. I ran the cabling under the plastic radiator cover. I heard the same thing about lifting the car to get the fogs. I'm just soooo paranoid to do that ever since that member died being crushed by his Cobra earlier this year (RIP). To fix my hi is lo and lo is hi issue I just switched pins out of the blue connector. The instruction that you download from DDM tuning were wrong. I went off of this diagram going with the 9007 and just reversed the high and low beam wires. Worked for me. I think you have a different issue though.
9004_9007_High_Low__Wiring_Assignment1.jpg

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
Thanks man.

Don't let a lift scare you though. If the car is put on there right or properly jacked up, you won't have a problem. If you are going to do it driveway method style (via car jack), just make sure you put something under the wheels so that in case the car does fall you have something to catch the car. I myself just did this in my garage since there was a foot of snow outside and I have to be honest, I did not really jack it up all that safely. As you can see I barely have any room to work with in my garage. I just did my business underneath and was in and out as quick as I could.

I switched my red and white wire again to make my flash work so I'm good to go. The only complaint I have is that the fogs really have a distorted color compared to the headlights

Last edited:

SBTerminator

Established Member
how do your high beams work? at first i had the wires in the connector backwards i thought because it seemed like the high beams were my lows and the lows were my highs. and they also flicked when i had them like that. now that i reversed them, the hi/lo seems right but now they dont flick? have this problem by any chance?

Mine work just like they should. I do remember at first, I had high, but no lows. I flipped the connections and bamn, all good.

C Pezz 23

Leaky exhaust FTW
Established Member
I just put some DDM HID's on my car tonight and they work great so far. Do you have any pics of the way you set up the wiring in the engine bay?

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
IMG_0074.jpg

Power cable ran under the battery blanket and connected to + terminal

IMG_0075.jpg

HID distributor mounted next to battery via 3M tape for easy access in the event I need to trial and error connection issues. Plus no one will notice its not supposed to be there unless you have one of these cars. There is so much sh*t going on under these hoods that it looks like just another piece to the puzzle. Plus the battery takes up so much space, I don't really have any other places to put it.

IMG_0077.jpg

The tangled mess wire tied together and tucked under the that "bunch" of wires ran to the negative terminal of the battery. You'll also notice that I used that 2nd bolt as the ground for the HID's.

IMG_0079.jpg

The passenger ballast wire running "hidden" under the reservoir and above the radiator to the other side.

IMG_0080.jpg

The wire coming out the other side and a random paper clip..?:dw:

IMG_0081.jpg

The passenger ballast "test" mounted under the intake cone. I'm not sure if I really want it there yet or not. I don't like how the wire is seen when it is placed down there. But since the car is going to be holding my concrete down for awhile, it will stay there for now until I decide to mess with it some more.

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Finish product. If you need more pics of anything else or have any input, feel free to post.

Jefe

Established Member
More pics of the paper clip? jk! Looks good

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
More pics of the paper clip? jk! Looks good

haha thanks man! I have no idea how that paper clip got there. What is funny is that I did not even know it was there until I uploaded that picture lol. Btw thanks for that coupon code for Amazon.com for that AVH-P4200DVD unit. I love it! Just recently got the add on navi for it and bluetooth. The downside to that is that now I gotta figure out how the hell I'm going to run the wires and mount all the add on sh*t. Guess thats the plus side to going with the AVIC model. You pay more but get half the headache. But in any case, thanks again man for helping me out with that code! :beer:

Jefe

Established Member
No problem. AVIC411.com is a great site. Once the stock system is out theres a lot of room in there for wiring/mounting positions. I almost bought that one but decided to go into debt and grab the X920BT.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
No problem. AVIC411.com is a great site. Once the stock system is out theres a lot of room in there for wiring/mounting positions. I almost bought that one but decided to go into debt and grab the X920BT.

Into debt lol. Whatever man the whole country is upside down in itself so if a radio is going to make us happy then I'm more than happy to contribute to this hip new thing called debt haha. That site is really helpful. Thanks a ton

MyStIcHrOmE 04

NEED MORE HP!!!
Established Member
Man I had the same issue with my 6000k kit. It is like everyone else is saying, just switch the two outside wires in the blue plug and you will be good. The bulbs actually have magnets that tilt the bulb up and down for high and low beam respectively. I am running the 6000k kit in both the headlights and foglights....the only difference is i am running the high watt kit up top (Way brighter). For the money, the DDM tuning kits are great! Good luck man!

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
Man I had the same issue with my 6000k kit. It is like everyone else is saying, just switch the two outside wires in the blue plug and you will be good. The bulbs actually have magnets that tilt the bulb up and down for high and low beam respectively. I am running the 6000k kit in both the headlights and foglights....the only difference is i am running the high watt kit up top (Way brighter). For the money, the DDM tuning kits are great! Good luck man!

Thanks man. The high and low beam difference is so unnoticeable. My low beams provide way more light with the fogs on.

Users who are viewing this thread