Driveshafts

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
okay,,, yeah im full of questions lately.. I can't seem to find a aluminum driveshaft that fits an 01 cobra... so just curious who ya'll went through when ya bought urs?

Last edited:

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
M-4602-J Fits 1996-04 Mustang and 1996-98 Cobra 4.6L with manual transmission. 31 spline yoke
*will not fit 1999-04 Cobra

Idk, i have a 31 spline tranny.. so im not sure. im thinking about calling frpp and asking why they won't fit. might be something to do with the rear end and the irs...thats the only diff i can think of between the 2.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
It is because of the IRS, i believe the flanges can be changed out or something but not totally sure.

Give PST a call. I have one of their driveshafts in my 01 w/ 3650 trans and IRS. Definitely dropped a few pounds but helped alot to reduce some driveline vibrations.

gmsux

Established Member
IRS cars require a shorter d/s than the solid axle cars. 03/04 have the larger pinion flange and T56 uses a 27spline output while the T45/3650 from a 99/01 cobra uses 31 spline output.

The two fms aluminum shafts are the same except for the yoke. They MIGHT fit an irs car but will likely be too tight.

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
Well that sucks.....I wanna replace my shaft as well. Every 2001 with a alum. shaft I've seen have swapped in an 03 IRS.

cobraracer46

Banned
My cobra has a Dynotech aluminum drive shaft that's hooked up to the factory IRS and a T56.

To the OP, I would recommend holding off on purchasing a custom aluminum drive shaft until the TR3650 trans in your cobra blows up and once that happens, you can get a T56 and a aluminum drive shaft all in one shot.:burnout:

Waiting for the T56 haters and pro motion nut swingers to respond.:burn:
:dancenana:

gmsux

Established Member
Well that sucks.....I wanna replace my shaft as well. Every 2001 with a alum. shaft I've seen have swapped in an 03 IRS.

Best option really is to get a 03/04 shaft from ebay, tousley ford and change the yoke for your trans or go with a custom length shaft from PST or dynotech. I have a dynotech (yes with a T56) that is great, super smooth.

VNEMUS

Established Member
I've read all the previous posts and I'm a little confused because I installed the Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft (M-4602-J) a couple years ago and it was a direct fit to my 01' with with T-3650 and 01' IRS, no modifications necessary:shrug:

SVECobraR

Established Member
There is a PST C/F drive shaft for sale on modularfords i believe for 550 bucks. Thats a pretty good deal or MMR can make you a custom piece also.

RoyWoods

Established Member
whats the differance between a gt and a cobra driveshaft?

1"

There is a PST C/F drive shaft for sale on modularfords i believe for 550 bucks. Thats a pretty good deal or MMR can make you a custom piece also.

Unless it has the aluminum yokes, that's not a very good deal, IMHO. The last time I looked you could get a brand new one from PST (w/o aluminum yokes) for about $600.

To the OP: If you decide to get a new DS, give Mark at PSTDS a call and he'll take care of you. He's a really nice guy and has a wonderful product.

SVECobraR

Established Member
prices must have gone down because i remember they use to 1k+ a while ago, i'm not sure if it was the one with the steel or aluminum yokes but the prices listed on their site now are pretty affordable.

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
I've read all the previous posts and I'm a little confused because I installed the Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft (M-4602-J) a couple years ago and it was a direct fit to my 01' with with T-3650 and 01' IRS, no modifications necessary:shrug:

This post kinda slipped thru the cracks here. If this is correct, wouldn't it solve his problem?

01bluesnake

Established Member

has anyone else confirmed this yet :shrug: i need to buy a driveshaft lol

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have a foxbody drive shaft in my car. I had to swap out the slip yoke, but otherwise it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread