Cobra brake mod!

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Just in time for my first HPDE this Friday....

Hawk HPS pads for the rear, Hawk HP for the front and Quantum Motorsports brake cooling kit, very nice. Aluminum bracket's angle cut to direct flow to the center of the rotors. the hose is awesome with thick material and exo metal wire for chafing resistance...

SNV31669.gif

SNV31667.gif

SNV31675.gif

SNV31677.gif

SNV31676.gif

SNV31678.gif

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do you have the tubing zip tied to the tie rods? We didn't do that on a buddies car and the tubes fell off while he was on the freeway.

gmsux

Established Member
The hose is zip tied to the tie rod and that zip tie is held put with a small hose clamp to keep it from sliding. Kit was $160 plus shipping, about avg. but I like the design and quality of the components from Quantum the best. Fast shipping too.

I have not been doing a lot of braking so far but that will change during the HPDE and hopefully after that! I've been ogling stop tech brake kits and the like, I'll see how hawk pads hold up first.

gmsux

Established Member
based on the pics with the CO bilstein and other suspension mods... I'd say yes!

LOL, perhaps more than the avg. driver but I know it's not been a lot yet!

BTW, those struts are the Koni double adjustable units! :banana: Along with full MM Delrin kmember, Aarms, etc and Bruce's full delrin IRS kit. Everything is precisely set and bumpsteered, the cobra handles sweet!:pepper:

VtekII

Established Member
ive been thinking about making a cold air set up with something similar with the extra holes in my fog bezels, i wonder how itll work

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
it will be a vacuum cleaner for water and anything else in the road...i had a 97 gts and bought the march intake that was made similar to that...it was the biggest piece of shit ever...i swear one time it sucked up a squirl and shot out bar b cue out the tail pipes...i wouldn't do it

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Glad to see you are finally doing your first HPDE! Brake kit looks good, I run Anthony's kit on mine. Keep an eye on your hoses over time or you can end up with a slinky flying behind your car at 140+.

IMG_7032.jpg

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
it will be a vacuum cleaner for water and anything else in the road...i had a 97 gts and bought the march intake that was made similar to that...it was the biggest piece of shit ever...i swear one time it sucked up a squirl and shot out bar b cue out the tail pipes...i wouldn't do it

I really like the dust shields near the rotors where the tubing connects to. But I agree, they look like they'll collect a lot of water. I'm really concerned about that, being that I live in Florida where we get heavy downpours almost every day. I'm trying to think of another cold air source that'll be better protected from the rain. Maybe you could route the tubing up and then back down in an upside-down "U" shape so the water stays in the front and drains out. You could also put screens in there somewhere.

Or, you could make a collector behind the radiator fan. While that'll defeat the purpose of those inlets in the bumper, and it'll be hot air, it'll do a good job keeping the brakes at a constant temperature instead of cycling from hot and cold. It'll even blow air over the brakes when the car is sitting still. Just an idea.

Nevertheless, I think the brake cooling it is a must-have for track use! It would be neat if there were "real" scoops on the side to cool the rear brakes. I know some SN-95's had real vents.

Homer

brkntrxn

Established Member
Homer,

I am pretty certain SVTPower was referring to VTekII's question about using the bumper bezels as the inlet for a cold air intake. In which case, it is too low and prone to water and trash intake like the March Ram Air setup for the Fox bodies (which mounted under the front bumper and looked like a wide vacuum cleaner attachment.

There is nothing wrong with using that location for brake duct inlets. That is why Ford put them there. There are a TON of open trackers that have their brake ducts located there with excellent results, including myself. Some people put screens on the front of them to prevent debris from coming in, but most everyone leaves them wide open.

-Kevin

gmsux

Established Member
Glad to see you are finally doing your first HPDE! Brake kit looks good, I run Anthony's kit on mine. Keep an eye on your hoses over time or you can end up with a slinky flying behind your car at 140+.

Crap! LOL! I will keep an eye on it cause the hose in this kit is very nice and not cheap! I'm sure it will do a great job of keeping the brakes cooler.

Do you find the stock cobra brakes to be adequate with good pads and cooling ducts?

brkntrxn

Established Member
Yes, the stock calipers with cooling and good pads are adequate. Since I went to Anthony's brake duct kit, I have only experienced brake fade once and that was recently. I may look into a Stoptech Kit or Brembo or one of the other six piston setups, but I still don't think I need to upgrade (been running events since 2006). And sure don't want to spend the several grand to do it.

I run OEM Brembo blanks for rotors and I have had Carbotech XP10s, XP12s and now back to XP10s on the front as well as Carbotech XP8s and now XP10s on the rear. I have no problem inducing ABS on Nitto NT01s, Hoosier Koni slicks and now Kumho V700s -- all in 275/40/17 size. I mention inducing ABS because that is an indication that the stock PBR calipers with the above mentioned pads had enough power to overcome the adhesion of the tires.

On the fronts, I went back down to 10s because I personally did not experience any benefit that the 12s had over the 10s. On the rears, I went up to the 10s from the 8s in order to try and put a tad more rear bias in the braking. The rear brakes on our cars do so little, I am trying to induce a bit of mechanical bias. I have gone through three sets of fronts to a half set of rears.

So, they stop very well with the stock calipers, how about fading? As I mentioned, I have only experienced brake fade once. June 20-21 I was running at Carolina Motorsports Park in the Solo group and experienced it on one lap late in the day. This course is 2.1 miles or so with 14 turns with three turns (T11, T14, T1) greater than 90* and some high speeds leading up to them. T14 and T1 are also back to back and are separated by the front straight that is not overly long.

The air temps were in the high 90s to low 100s that weekend and who knows how high the track temps were. I felt brake fade on one lap late in the day going into T4 after running numerous very hard laps trying to set my Time Trial qualifying time. I simply backed off for a lap or so and then went back at it.

After the session, I checked my pads and the fronts were extremely low, almost to the backing plate. I am positive that my caliper and pad probably heat soaked due to the extremely hard braking I was doing, the high air temps, and the low pad material on the front. I did not change a thing and went on to run with no problems in Time Trials (at least not from a braking stand point).

In my opinion, you will be fine for quite a while with the brake ducts, good pads, OEM rotor and OEM caliper. But, your mileage and wallet may vary!!!

-Kevin

VNEMUS

Established Member
I've got Anthony's Kit too, but the air is directed mostly onto the face of the rotor. While this hasn't caused me any issues with my rotors when tracking the car, I do notice a difference in the pad wear, where the outboard pads wear noticeably faster than the inboard pad. I have the Brembo 4 piston calipers and use Hawk HT-10 pads up front.

The Quantum Motorsports Kit appears to better direct air towards the center of the rotor compared to Anthony's Kit, but without trying it out I can't conclude for sure.

What I'd really like to see for the SN-95 spindles is an affordable lightweight kit made from steel or aluminum that most closely resembles the full functionality of the carbon fiber units Mutlimatic made for 2000 Cobra Rs, where the backing plates "cup" the diameter of the inner part of the rotors and forces most (if not all) of the air flow through the center and vanes of the rotors.

What are other SN-95 spindle (non-2000 Cobra R) guys doing for maximum front brake cooling?

brkntrxn

Established Member
Craig,

Interesting feedback on the uneven wear. I have not experienced noticeable uneven wear with mine. Could it be the difference between Carbotech and Hawk pads?

To your point, the Y2K R was an optimal design from what I have seen and read.

George,

Keep us updated on how you like your setup... as well as your first HPDE.

-Kevin

VNEMUS

Established Member
Craig,

Interesting feedback on the uneven wear. I have not experienced noticeable uneven wear with mine. Could it be the difference between Carbotech and Hawk pads?

Prior to the Brembo 4 piston calipers & Hawk HT-10's, I ran the stock Cobra calipers with Cobalt XR2 pads with Anthony's Duct kit. I didn't experience uneven wear inboard vs. outboard, but I did notice uneven angled pad wear on the both side of the calipers.

The Cobalt XR2 pads were awesome, but probably too much for repeated threshhold braking, 3700 lbs, stock PBR calipers and Hoosier slicks.:shrug:

gmsux

Established Member
Good feedback guys. For now, I'm running the HP+ up front, HPS rear on stock rotors. The car has only 15K miles so as you'd imagine the stock pads were nearly new looking. I bled the brakes with some Valvoline synthetic fluid I had, I see they don't make it anymore. May try some wilwood or other high temp fluid.

Have you guys checked rotor temp? After seasoning these new hawk pads I checked temp and had 170 on the rotors after a number of 40mph stops and the last one was about 110 after I smoked a ricer beemer. What temps are considered safe?

I will definitely let ya'll know how the HPDE goes. I have class today 6-10PST and the HPDE starts tomorrow with the drivers meeting at 745. Really excited about it. I've done drag racing for so long I am very excited about the prospect of actually driving a car for more than 13 seconds and being challenged. I've done the throttle pedal mod with stop so I can learn Heel/Toe.

Users who are viewing this thread