Anatomy of a PSR reconstructed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I got my PSR from Naz this past July, I think it may be the one of the last he made. At the end of this season I started getting lean codes and would simply clear them and keep driving. Didn't see anything obvious and since I am planning on building the motor, didn't care much. I initially decided to sell the intake for the new build but after seeing the cracks, I pulled it from the market and will now repair/improve it. The cracks clearly are where the lean codes came from. I didn't grab a picture of the cracks in the PSR as assembled but here are the main ones after I removed the bottom of the intake...
SNV32022.gif

SNV32021.gif

There were other cracks in the weld which propagated from an area where the weld was likely thin. The bottom metal is so thin that I think getting a good weld on it is not likely. Also, the metal is not soft enough to give, not sure what it it but it doesn't look like 6061.

Here's the inside of the PSR unmodified..Notice the ends have abrupt transitions from the endcaps to the intake and the corner runners are a bit rough in transition. There is also a lot of epoxy build up in a couple of the runners not visible in these shots.
SNV31966.gif

I did some smoothing and added JB weld to smooth out these areas, will finish them off later...
SNV32016.gif

SNV32019.gif

Also removed a lot of epoxy that had created a large obstruction in this corner runner..
before
SNV31968.gif

With the epoxy smoothed out, the transitions from the bell to the runner are really good...
SNV32017.gif

I cut out a new bottom from 6061 1/4" thick..
SNV32013.gif

Comparing the old with the new bottom...
SNV32014.gif

and the fit...
SNV32020.gif

It will go a the shop next week or two to be fully welded by a certified AL TIG shop. So far, I'm into this repair about $70 with some consumables and the Aluminum plate. We'll see what the welding will cost but in the end, it will be a better intake. Not sure if I will sell it or not after this work/expense but thought ya'll might enjoy seeing what I've been working on lately....

Last edited:

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
Hey, I posted in your FS thread wanting your PP addy.

I really have wondered what a PSR looked like. Thanks for the insight.

gmsux

Established Member
As mentioned, selling is off the table for now. I will fix the intake and based on the cost of doing so may or may not sell it. It might not make sense to at that point which I'm sure you can appreciate. Thanks.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
DAMM what's the deal with NAZ'S PSR's lately with the broken welds? and this one just looks Bad, sorry bro!!
Nice job with the thicker material, the stuff originally used was a Joke!!

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
wow that's unfortunate that it broke like that. while he was doing them still i was considering a port by him, but if it broke on a NA aplication imagine a forced induction setup :uh oh:

stradt03

Established Member
what ever happened to him? I have been away from the board for quite a while and must have missed something big.

01yellercobra

Established Member
what ever happened to him? I have been away from the board for quite a while and must have missed something big.

Apparently he's been having some medical issues. He's been MIA for a while now.

gmsux

Established Member
wow that's unfortunate that it broke like that. while he was doing them still i was considering a port by him, but if it broke on a NA aplication imagine a forced induction setup :uh oh:

I'll guarantee this PSRI will handle lots of boost when it's done! Pics will be posted after the welding is complete. The 1/4" plate is overkill. :banana:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'll guarantee this PSRI will handle lots of boost when it's done! Pics will be posted after the welding is complete. The 1/4" plate is overkill. :banana:

But that's because you're putting more work into it. That's not something most of us want to have to do.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Hey i want to attemp and do my PSR i have all the tools do do i just dont know what material is needed to accomplish this little project.
Can you guys give me an tips and tricks and exacltly what is needed.

gmsux

Established Member
No advice as I didn't build this one, just repairing it! I can tell it was set up on a mill and the center was milled out but other than that, I don't know the extent of work required to build it.

Hey i want to attemp and do my PSR i have all the tools do do i just dont know what material is needed to accomplish this little project.
Can you guys give me an tips and tricks and exacltly what is needed.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I would be livid if that's what my $900 PSR looked like!

Good luck getting it all repaired and back to square.

gmsux

Established Member
I hear you, I didn't want to do this either but, what are the options? I'll just take some time/money/pride to make it better than it was. If I decide to sell it, I'll take the loss of the repair but will be totally confident in what I'm selling will be a top notch PSRI.

But that's because you're putting more work into it. That's not something most of us want to have to do.

boduke0220

Established Member
damn that sucks. looks like you hav good machining skills though, sad to hear about naz's product like that

gmsux

Established Member
Just to clear things up, I'm not posting this thread only to bash Naz's work. Did I plan on spending the time/money to repair this, heck no but I view this as an opportunity to provide clarity to those wondering what a PSR is like and post up why I took the intake off the market in case I decide to try to sell after repairs are done. Maybe someone can continue the service naz provided because as we all know, there are very few options for us 4V guys.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I hate to hear the thing came apart on you. Not the first time that's happened though.

gmsux

Established Member
Sorry to hear about this, but Nice work!

You going to run a spacer w/ your set-up?

If I stay with this intake which is looking more likely than not due to the total investment I'll have in it, I will run the spacer. Many folks who run these intakes competitively use ~1" spacers! I don't think that will physically work too well with EGR and a stock hood but the 3/8 with the two gaskets will get you about .5" total increase. With the smoothing/blending/obstruction removal work I did, I hope the intake will perform very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread