Squeeking from under my car

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
My car started making a squeaking noise the other day and it hasn't stopped. I looked under the car and when you turn the wheel left or right it squeaks and i think i see where its coming from. There is like a boot that moves left and right when you turn the wheel on the drivers side front and it sounds like its coming from there. Does this boot need like oil or something or do i need to replace it? i thought it might be my power steering fluid or pump but it doenst sound like its coming from there.

Edit: Damnt i spelled squeaking wrong.

EDIT: I PUT A VIDEO AND PICTURES TWO POSTS DOWN.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Here is a picture of what im talking about and a video of the squeak.

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

[youtube_browser]KPSsMtt_jL0[/youtube_browser]

Bite Me

Established Member
Are you 100% that its coming from the steering rack? My tie rod bushings made the exact same sound so Im going to say its those and not your rack. They are the blue/green bushings where that arm connects to your a-arm. You could try greasing up those bushings and working it in to see if it stops.

Try that first.

fastback brian

Established Member
my bet would be the outer tie-rod ends..it could be the inner, typically I see them wear out and get sloppy not make noise, but could be....not too many shops have the tool to replace that inner rod, seem more common nowadays to replace the rack assembly..

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I just got rid of the same exact squeak on my driver's side control arm ball joint. It's a focking piece of sh*t chinese crap ball-joint that I installed 1.5yr ago from pep-boys)

If you have a zerk fitting on the bottom, grease it. If it does not have a zerk fitting, you might be able to slide the boot up and grease it. If it's got wire clamps on the balljoint boot, you might have to somehow try and get some grease in there. You might then also have to pick up a replacement pair.

Ford Mustang 94-04 OEM Ball Joint Original Ford Part - eBay (item 330255270868 end time Mar-09-11 05:05:15 PST)

77cf_12.JPG

This seller will accept $27-29 for each one. The one I bought from him is in my trunk waiting for an opportune time to install it.

This kit is what you need to install it:

3-in-1 Ball Joint/U-Joint/C-Frame Press Service Kit

To also rule out all culprits, grease the outer tie-rod ends as instructed above.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
It stopped squeaking so i dont know if it was because it was cold or what.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Check your outer tie rod ends to try seeing if they have play in them if take your hand and try moving them up and down, I had a squek coming from the front end lasy year annoying as hell when I turned the wheel and it was my outer tie rod replaced both with Moog units from Advance Auto with a lifetime warranty and they have zerk fittings.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
It will resume shortly..and it's focking embarassing as hell.

Haha i know. My titan's front right cv axle went bad and when i turned it was like click click click click really fast. Everyday i pulled into school i wanted to shoot myself.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Could be your steering rack bushings? They are known to squeak. Mine did a few years ago and had them replaced...no more squeaks.

Predatorbird

Established Member
My car started doing the exact same thing last week. I'm going to grease the x2 ball joints and anything else I can.

Predatorbird

Established Member
I greased my x2's yesterday and I'm pretty sure it got rid of the squeak. If you aren't able to grease your stockers, now would be a good time to replace them with the Steeda's.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Often you dont see tie rods making such dramatic squeaking noises. If you raise the front end a quick shake down will let you know if you have a tie rod problem. I second checking your rach bushings and ball joints.

Users who are viewing this thread