Mark VIII DOHC 4.6 what all do i need from donor car?

Ronin5.O

Established Member
Hey guys, so I came across a 4.6 DOHC in a 97-98 Lincoln Mark VIII locally and I was looking to swap it into my fox body GT. I was just wondering what I should grab from the car to make the swap cheaper and easier? Obviously the engine, but Im wondering if i should get the harness and computer since they may run other things that my car doesnt have? The other option would be to buy a ford racing harness and cobra computer.

Also, any sensors I need to make sure to get?

Finally, what is the difference between this engine and the one that came in the 4 valve cobras?

Thanks!

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I think the block is good to go and the heads, get an '01 intake and the supporting sensors. Not 100%

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It's a cast 6 bolt crank. Cobras are 8 bolt forged. It's also got an AOD/4R70W automatic flex plate.
Cams are also milder.

B heads are not going to want an 01 C head Cobra intake.:nonono:

I would snag the wiring and PCM.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
The 98 mark VIII engine uses B heads. The difference between the mark motor and cobra motor are the cranks like Jimmy said, the intake, and also the intake cams. Swap out to cobra intake cams, cobra intake, and you will have pretty much a 96-98 cobra motor.

If I were you OP, I'd try and shoot for an aviator motor instead. This is the same as a mach1 long block out of an automatic.

Ronin5.O

Established Member
Okay cool thanks guys! So Ill need to look for a 96-98 cobra intake and intake cams.

The Mark VIII that the engine is in has 157k on the odometer, so a rebuild would be a good thing too. After looking at rebuild kits and the cost of the cobra parts i think ill be way better off to stick with my 5.O, cause by the time I'd finish the swap I wouldnt be gaining a lot and id have to spend about 3-4K.

I may end up picking up the engine anyways, but due to lack of funds currently this project may sit on the back burner for a while :nonono:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Another great resource is in modularfords.com they have a subforum dedicated entirely for modular swaps.

There are at least a couple people in there swapping a Mark VIII motor into a variety of vehicles, like an old F100, an old 60's mustang and a swap.. lots of pics, too.

Modular Conversions

Users who are viewing this thread