Front Driver's side caliper locks up early

blackandblue223

Established Member
For whatever reason, the front driver's side caliper gets more pressure than the other four, and if I really have to jam on the brakes, locks up prematurely. I'm assuming I have to get a replacement caliper, but before I do, is there anything that would cause this that I might be overlooking? Thanks.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
seemed like my mach had the pass front grabbing early. Id just make sure the brakes are bled properly and try cleaning the abs sensors. If it was dragging I could see replacing the caliper but wouldnt think right off that it would need replacing because it grabs first

blackandblue223

Established Member
Alright, I'll try that. what was the issue with your mach? There's also a pretty distinct crunch once the pedal gets to a certain point, presumably when the caliper locks up.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
You might want to remove the caliper and make sure it's seated correctly. It might be sitting crooked.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Replace both front brake hoses with OE replacements first before you drop serious coin.

Bleed and re-test.

Sometimes brake hose lamination can fail on the inside and partially block pressure to the caliper not locking causing a severe brake imbalance.

blackandblue223

Established Member
I had the caliper off when I was doing anti rattle clips, I had this problem before and again after. I'll try replacing the hoses and bleeding them, hopefully that'll fix the issue. I'd really rather not spend a ton of money on new calipers.

mustangman36578

Established Member
+1 on changing the hose first. i had a similar problem. pass side brakes where dragging constantly. thought it was going to be the caliper but changed the hose first and problem solved. helped track times a lot too lol. went from 11.4xs to 11.0xs.

blackandblue223

Established Member
So I replaced both brake hoses and pads, and bled the brakes. It felt a bit better at first, but something still seems off. I feel like if I had to slam on the brakes for some reason, I just wouldn't trust it. Are there any other small things I can try? Or should I be in the market for some new calipers?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Are the banjo bolts the same on both sides?

Also, one side might have dirty pistons from carbon deposits that might be slowing the clamp.

In the terminator section under the how-to's, there is a thread on replacing the seals and cleaning out the pistons.

blackandblue223

Established Member
what are the banjo bolts? I'll try replacing the seals and cleaning the pistons. Seems easy enough. I can't really tell what it is anymore, but the brakes just don't seem up to par

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
what are the banjo bolts? I'll try replacing the seals and cleaning the pistons. Seems easy enough. I can't really tell what it is anymore, but the brakes just don't seem up to par

The bolts that attach the hoses to the caliper. They have a hole in the bottom and on the sides.

They look like a banjo.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Make sure the caliper pins are properly lubricated. Sometimes the lub dries up and the caliper does not slide freely.

Good luck.

blackandblue223

Established Member
How should the banjo bolts be lined up? or is it just important that the holes are pointing in the same direction? Sorry if I sound stupid, I haven't done much brake stuff before.

Users who are viewing this thread