Weight reduction

Colt .45

Established Member
Spoiler, passenger seat, center console, carpet, radio, amps and speakers, inside door panels, all sound deadening material, lose some weight, ac system and controls, the car jack, the trunk lining

Last edited:

Sagittaria

Established Member
I know a guy who went as far as cutting off the door bars... wouldn't want to get t boned.

Depends on how far you want to go.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Always get a chuckle out of the lose some weight. I wish someone would tell me that, I'm 6' 4'' 175 lbs. haha

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
8 lb. brick off the IRS, aluminum flywheel, aluminum drive shaft, light weight rotors(drag race only), ditch the stock front seats or at least the power drivers seat, dash bracing, floor mats, fender liners, bumper supports

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
There are plenty of ways. Tubular K-member, Rear seat delete, racing seats for both Driver and passenger, spare tire and jack, sound deadnening, al flywheel and driveshaft, 2piece rotors are extremely light, light weight wheels (forged). Rotational mass will make the car faster since it's less rotational mass to spin, front bumper support I'm buying a donothan racing one. There are more but more the most part that's what I have and my car is decently light for having a big ass iron block :D

Ofcoarse Power adders, and suspension put some of the weight back on..

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Is this a street/strip car? street car? full out drag car?

Before I can help out, I need to know, lol.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Buy a race car and leave your street "nice" car the heck alone!! haha

My race car is in around 2800 lbs emtpty maybe even lighter.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I COMPLETELY stripped my 01 GT when I was 17 years old in high school because I couldn't afford hop ups. No bumper supports, no air bags, no AC, no interior accept the dash and seats. Car handled great with minor suspension mods and was a little quicker, but was horribly loud to drive and always raised the cops eye brows during my speeding tickets. I spun a rod bearing 2 years ago and the car sat until I just had it car junked for a GRAND, thats it!!!! It was literally worthless when I was done with it. I now have a full interior 01 cobra at the age of 22 and I couldn't be happier. Learn from my mistakes please

Stangcobra1122

Established Member
Recently I took out all my sound deadening in the trunk, my back seat, my radio, and my mach system.
Now granted these things arent going to be out forever, but I've noticed a not insignificant performance difference by doing them.
Honestly, I'd stick to things that are reversible, I know that before I go to the track I will strip all this stuff out, and that I am probably switching to a set of Sparco Evo IIs soon, partly for weight, and partly because they look like pure sex.
Honestly, if its a DD or street/strip car you can do radio, back seat, sound deadening, and maybe A/C if its not too hot where you live, but please, leave the rest intact

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I had plans to turn my Cobra into a road race car. I went to my first open track event and the gears were already turning in my head that evening after my first day of lapping.

I mentioned some of my plans to another mustang racer there and he told me "your car is too nice to be a race car" that ruined my plans right there and Im very glad it did. I opened tracked the car for a few more years and then bought a built race car.

Honestly having a race car is more fun, I've done things to my race car that worked out great but I cringe at the thought of doing the same to my cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread