Is it really this easy? Supercharger.

Kirk01

Established Member
After reading through this thread $1500 96-04GT Supercharger kit "how its done" - MustangForums.com
It seems like getting all the pieces for an 01 comes out to just under $1,200. This seems like a steal.

My question is, is this essentially everything I would need short of injectors, fuel pump or bap, and of course head unit?

I would just post there but the thread seems dead. Any help would be great, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to superchargers. Thanks

Kirk01

Established Member
I mean, I added it all up in the cart and it's just below 1200. So the pricing is pretty accurate. I'm just curious if this is all the required parts for the install.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I think those are just base kits, a complete kit is usually well over 2K, If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Trust me whatever you think it will cost and what it does cost end up being two totally different things. I'm not saying I spent to much on doing mine, but there are ALWAYS unexpected expenses.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
I think those are just base kits, a complete kit is usually well over 2K, If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

What do you mean base kit? Most hardware is very similar except for the head unit.

OP it looks like everything is there except fuel. Keep in mind you will also need to add in tuner expenses.

Kirk01

Established Member
Yeah but I figure 2k is cheaper than the 3.5 that the kit retails for. I think I might go for it. I feel like after fuel and tuning I'll end up right around the 3k mark.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
I love the fact that you are optomistic enough to think that youll be done at 3k. Have fun with that man.

Kirk01

Established Member
I love the fact that you are optomistic enough to think that youll be done at 3k. Have fun with that man.

Elaborate please. I plan on doing the work myself and getting most of the parts second hand. I could see further down the road costing more, but for the parts I don't foresee the price jumping around.

Any input would be helpful.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
A lot of times when you buy the kits, they come with pre-flashed chip. I'm not necessarily saying those chips are the best possible tune available, but if you buy piece parts you're probably going to have to have a custom dyno tune and you'll have to find some way to haul it there since you can't drive it there. Dyno tuning can get pretty pricey, especially if they're starting from a blank slate and not just tweaking an existing working tune. A lot of tuners might already have some pre-configured tunes that will work if your kit is popular enough, but I wouldn't count on getting a discount just because of that.

Of course, I'd much rather have a custom dyno tune anyways than some boxed tune, but a boxed tune will at least let you drive it. You do usually have to send them in by mail though.

Last edited:

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
Yeah but I figure 2k is cheaper than the 3.5 that the kit retails for. I think I might go for it. I feel like after fuel and tuning I'll end up right around the 3k mark.

Hey op, have you don't a leak down, compression and oil pressure test yet? Might want to consider before hitting the go button on this.

U know how much it cost me for my chip with a base tune on it and a maf sensor?? Over 750. And that's moates hardware that's not sct. You know how much injectors cost me? 200 for green topused. Pump was 150. And then you are gonna want someone to Tune it.... Idk what your rates are there but anywhere from 250+ these are foxbody parts...

Don't get me wrong i hope u can get away with keeping a 3k limit.

csgoalie30

Established Member
Trust me whatever you think it will cost and what it does cost end up being two totally different things. I'm not saying I spent to much on doing mine, but there are ALWAYS unexpected expenses.

+1, always expect to run into problems, fitment issues, and miscellaneous parts.

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
Non-intercooled I'm assuming? Yeah that's probably pretty accurate. But like stated above, be prepared for extraneous expenses.

procharged 99

Established Member
Every time I walk out to my garage and even look at my car it cost me 100 dollars lol. I would never run something non ic, it's a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread