What blows motors?

GM2Ford

Established Member
I will soon be start my eaton swap on an stock 01' cobra motor long block I have...

& I swear! Every single video of these N/A 4v's I see with Eaton swaps running around 420-460 rwhp ALL END BAD!:burn: Motor blown, thrown rod, etc. :shrug:

I keep hearing 450rwhp is the safe zone? :??:So here is my question

Just wondering...

So besides over-revving the motor, not keeping up on maintenance, racing it from every light, dragin it, beatin' on it... etc. <--- Those things mentioned I WILL NOT be doing...

I might get on it here and there, race from a roll once ina while...

So what else could I do BESIDES rebuilding the engine (don't have funds) to make to shit last @ 450rwhp? More oil? Windage tray?:read:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I will soon be start my eaton swap on an stock 01' cobra motor long block I have...

& I swear! Every single video of these N/A 4v's I see with Eaton swaps running around 420-460 rwhp ALL END BAD!:burn: Motor blown, thrown rod, etc. :shrug:

I keep hearing 450rwhp is the safe zone? :??:So here is my question

Just wondering...

So besides over-revving the motor, not keeping up on maintenance, racing it from every light, dragin it, beatin' on it... etc. <--- Those things mentioned I WILL NOT be doing...

I might get on it here and there, race from a roll once ina while...

So what else could I do BESIDES rebuilding the engine (don't have funds) to make to shit last @ 450rwhp? More oil? Windage tray?:read:

The stock internals simply can't handle the hammering of the increased cylinder pressure induced by that much horsepower, they just weren't designed for it. All you can do is one good deed a day and maybe pray? haha

SRA99COBRA

Established Member
"All you can do is one good deed a day and pray" haha that's funny I'll have to remember that one. :) unfortunately he's right. I don't know the purpose of giving us a forged crank but not rods and pistons, but I'm sure Ford had it's reasons. Money being the #1.

matt87

Established Member
my 01 with a d1 procharger lasted about 2k miles @ 460 rwhp. the eaton makes lots of power down low in the powerband so its harder on those crap rods.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Everyone is forgetting that detonation is what blows motors more than anything. If you are pushing a stock motor to 400+ rwhp, the tune has to be spot on and conservative or the motor will grenade itself. After I get my Vortech installed, I'm telling the tuner that I would rather have a motor that doesn't blow up right away than that extra 20 rwhp.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Get a competent tuner for the job. Low timing to help prevent detonation and a good a/f ratio. I make 417rwhp on my eaton swap w/ no problems. 12* timing and a mid 11 a/f ration. Car has plenty more in it, but I specifically told the tuner I wanted safe and conservative so the motor didn't blow. Thats what I got. Mid 400's is no problem with these swaps, but it may be too much for your engine to handle.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
don't forget these motors are over 10 years old and even if it has low miles......it may have been run hard/tracked etc...who knows if the maintenance was done regularly.......I was assured by Kurgan MS that 420hp/Vortech was safe but I changed my mind about taking the chance....rather have an awesome low miles Cobra than a work in progress that I have to dump thousands of bucks into, then have to spend thousands more to rebuild it in less than a year maybe, just for the status of being S/C.....because I'm never gonna seriously race this and its plenty fun/fast for zooming around town.......but the 410s def woke this one up(best possible mod for smiles with no real downside)

and some of these are blown up on the dyno by an overzealous tuner.....

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
The hyperpuectic pistons more than anything and then the rods after that. Ive generally heard that positive displacement blowers are harder on these components than centri blowers because boost is nearly instantaneous on pd blowers.

That said, people are always going to tell you that they have a car with x mods and x number of miles and x amount of horsepower and then continue to say they've never had problems. These are what I like to call hot potato cars, cuz it's like you're just passing around a hot potato and no one knows when it's going to go off. And just because it hasn't gone off on a person yet, doesn't mean it won't ever.

If you're playing a game of Russian roulette and you pull the trigger and the gun doesn't fire, can you be sure the next person will have the same experience. Don't play Russian roulette with your car.

So essentially, ever video you've watched with your particular blower on a similar car has ended badly, and you still think you're going to find the magic trick to keep it safe?

Last edited:

matt87

Established Member
in the book "Iron fist Lead foot" they talked in length about when they added the eaton blower to the stock 01 engines, they just did not last their tests. good read.

GM2Ford

Established Member
Everyone is forgetting that detonation is what blows motors more than anything. If you are pushing a stock motor to 400+ rwhp, the tune has to be spot on and conservative or the motor will grenade itself. After I get my Vortech installed, I'm telling the tuner that I would rather have a motor that doesn't blow up right away than that extra 20 rwhp.

+1

Get a competent tuner for the job. Low timing to help prevent detonation and a good a/f ratio. I make 417rwhp on my eaton swap w/ no problems. 12* timing and a mid 11 a/f ration. Car has plenty more in it, but I specifically told the tuner I wanted safe and conservative so the motor didn't blow. Thats what I got. Mid 400's is no problem with these swaps, but it may be too much for your engine to handle.

+1 I will be going to get a very conservative tune for a nice reputable shop.

The hyperpuectic pistons more than anything and then the rods after that. Ive generally heard that positive displacement blowers are harder on these components than centri blowers because boost is nearly instantaneous on pd blowers.

That said, people are always going to tell you that they have a car with x mods and x number of miles and x amount of horsepower and then continue to say they've never had problems. These are what I like to call hot potato cars, cuz it's like you're just passing around a hot potato and no one knows when it's going to go off. And just because it hasn't gone off on a person yet, doesn't mean it won't ever.

If you're playing a game of Russian roulette and you pull the trigger and the gun doesn't fire, can you be sure the next person will have the same experience. Don't play Russian roulette with your car.

So essentially, ever video you've watched with your particular blower on a similar car has ended badly, and you still think you're going to find the magic trick to keep it safe?

Well just about every video, they lasted for about a little while and then they went, must of the reasons I heard was, a bad MAFS, or people were running the singe pumps set up and there pump took a dump causing there motor to take a dump, most Eaton swaps I see the people are seriously beating the car to death and then I hear... "Time for a 900S MMR block."

The guy I bought my 03 Cobra Tank & Pumps from said his Eaton swap went because he had it on a 91 octane aggressive tune & had a 2 step installed on the car and launched the car a lot.

There was this one guys car though, Idk what kinda tune he had but, his 01' with Upper & Lower ported Eaton & with some mods pushed 498rwhp @ the dyno and constantly raced it for about 2 years and then it finally went.

I'm pretty sure my engine will last nice while if I don't beat on it and cruise it nicely with a good tune.

matt87

Established Member
i said the same thing with my 01...gonna cruise nicely and not get on it. lol! like others have said, its a roll of the dice. may last years or days.

matt87

Established Member
lasted fine with me, had it for 1 summer with the d1 about 2k miles. real easy tune. 11 degrees timing, real fat afr. 03/04 cobra tank and pump with 60# injectors. sold the car to a younger fella who promptly air conditioned the block a short time later. he over revved it badly.

GM2Ford

Established Member
lasted fine with me, had it for 1 summer with the d1 about 2k miles. real easy tune. 11 degrees timing, real fat afr. 03/04 cobra tank and pump with 60# injectors. sold the car to a younger fella who promptly air conditioned the block a short time later. he over revved it badly.

Nice to know it lasted fine with you. & Yes, most of the people I see with F/I motors send the stock rotating assembly to hell through their own operating errors.

& those who last a very long time with it are the ones who treat it right

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
If your not gonna get on it and have fun with it, what's the point? Also as others have mentioned its hit or miss, so you'll never know. Best have some money set aside for a new shortblock

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
If your not gonna get on it and have fun with it, what's the point? Also as others have mentioned its hit or miss, so you'll never know. Best have some money set aside for a new shortblock

Agreed! Why boost you are uncomfortable using? The thing is, you can drive the car as conservative as you want 99.9% of the time, and it can still blow up the one time you mash the throttle. Sure, constantly beating on a car doesn't help matters, but regardless of how you drive the car on a typical basis getting into boost with these internals is just throwing dice. And once you feel the boost, you'll have a much harder time staying out of it than what you think.

Even after building my engine I know things are not always perfect, but I can rest assured that my short block itself isn't weak link. Now if a fuel pump goes out or something, that's another story...but hopefully having a built engine will protect me from minor failures turning catastrophic. And being able to monitor a/f is very helpful in such cases.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
run low timing (13)& boost (8),fat air fuel (low 11's) and keep the redline at 6500, that should help with longevity and DON'T underestimate the fuel system, lots of guys are running MAX duty cycle or on the brink of it...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Damm dude I should have read your response BEFORE posting, I would have just +1000'd THIS^^:beer:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would rather have a built car knowing I can mash the gas and not be worried about grenading the motor (even though I am never 100% fearless of it) than conservatively build my car hoping each time I mash it nothing goes wrong.

As said before, it is the roll of the dice. Some cars last a long time making 450rwhp and some dont last long at all.

Users who are viewing this thread