Fuel pump bad?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
So on Friday on ended up having my car tuned by Bob Kurgan. Ended up making 456rwhp and 407whtq at 6100rpm. I ended up pegging the maf and also maxing out the fuel pumps.

Bob recommended I get a KB Boost-A-Pump and I didn't really think anything of it; however, when I got home I started to wonder if maybe one of my pumps went out. I am currently running (2) 235lph pumps, which I thought was sufficient, but according to the results is not. Do you think one of my pumps may have went out, leaving me with a single 235lph that is insufficient.

I was just curious, because it seems to me like there are others running around with similar setups making the same amount of power - but perhaps they are also running BAP. That said, the A/F ratio throughout the pull was spot on until 6100 when the fuel delivery could no longer keep up?

What do you think? Pull the tank and check the pumps (might do that anyways) or do you think dual 235lph pumps are actually maxed out at my power level. I know Vortech supplies a single 255lph pump with their kit, and so that's why I was questioning if I might have one bad pump. Is there an easier way to check than dropping the tank, as in wouldn't Kurgan have known if a pump was bad?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
what brand pumps are they? Dual SVT Focus and Aviators can support close to 600 without a BAP...

They're Bosche pumps. Regardless of what brand they are, shouldn't they the amount of fuel they flow be the same if they're rated at the same lph? I know the pumps I have are both 235lph pumps. Are you talking crank hp or rwhp?

It seems the flow of the pumps you mentioned seem to be a topic of much debate - I've seen the focus pumps mentioned to be everything from 175 to 255lph. Not sure how people are coming up with these numbers. Here's just one link I came across, but other sites say these pumps flow different lph than what this thread mentions. Pump comparisons

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Are those Bosch's designed for variable voltage returnless fuel systems?
And my Aviator pumps flow 270 though their rated in some publications at 310..
And that 600 is RWHP. A customers 04 Cobra with a Whipple 2.3 ran 2 Focus pumps without Bap before converting to return and they supported 593 RWHP!

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Are you running a PPRV delete? If so are you sure the hoses aren't kinked?

I don't think so. I think I'm just going to have to drop the tank. I`m using a terminator fuel pump hat, but no other modifications that I'm aware of. This was all on it when I bought the car, and the only thing we did was drop the tank to make sure seller was honest about having the dual pumps when we got home. That was a few years ago, but I've been running a junk tune since purchase. Then built the motor and had kurgan tune it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread