Took the 5.0 to Laguna Seca yesterday

AmnDucky

Established Member
It was fun as hell, I really beat the crap out of my car. I need tires and suspension something fierce. I was outpowering most cars on the track, but turning has left some to be desired. I also got black flagged twice for noise :fm:. I short shifted going past the sound booth, but the two times I forgot to I was about 4db over the limit. Anyways, pictures.

JR1N1797.jpg

JR1N0899.jpg

JR1N0504.jpg

JR1N0357.jpg

And yes, I caught up to and passed this Porche
JR1N2294.jpg

I had a video camera mounted in the car, but the video wont get to me for a week or two.

daydark

Established Member
Why is it they have such stringent rules about noise? I mean, how loud is Mustang exhaust really compared to a race car? And so what if it is loud?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
what was the db number you hit? my FR500C has a Mustang GT exhaust on it and only hits 87db

MFE

Established Member
Why is it they have such stringent rules about noise? I mean, how loud is Mustang exhaust really compared to a race car? And so what if it is loud?

ALL cars have noise restrictions there, race car or not. And it's happening at more and more tracks. Dipshits build houses near tracks that have been there for decades, then complain about the noise. They succeed in having tracks shut down with remarkable frequency.

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
ALL cars have noise restrictions there, race car or not. And it's happening at more and more tracks. Dipshits build houses near tracks that have been there for decades, then complain about the noise. They succeed in having tracks shut down with remarkable frequency.

On a side note... similar situation here in my town with a neighborhood
baseball field built in the 1950's. Some people have been recently complaining
about the field lights being too bright and disrupting their sleep... at 9:00 in the
evening...:nonono: So now there are no more late evening games because of this.

This country has gone softer than a microwaved doughnut...:nonono:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Car looks great out there. Everything I've read says the same as you stated, better springs/dampers and tires. Pretty simple stuff to have an incredible track performer.

daydark

Established Member
I am growing more and more tempted to get rid of the Cobra and pick up one of these new 5.0 beasts.

AmnDucky

Established Member

what was the db number you hit? my FR500C has a Mustang GT exhaust on it and only hits 87db

I hit 96.6db because haha. I knew I was pushing it because I magnaflow muffler deletes. There was a stock Z06 that got nailed for sound too. Even t-hill has a sound limit, but its 103 db, not 92 like Laguna Seca.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Muffler deletes!!:lol:

LOL! DUH!:-D

As sweet as it might sound it can not possibly be worth getting black flagged.
My track time is extremely valuable to me so if it was me, I would be changing my exhaust.

Can I assume that you did in fact have one of the most fun times in car ever???

If so welcome to the addiction! Those cars are awesome, I am seriously considering one also.

AmnDucky

Established Member

My track time is extremely valuable to me so if it was me, I would be changing my exhaust.

If so welcome to the addiction! Those cars are awesome, I am seriously considering one also.

I was fine if I short shifted to 5th. I got nailed when I went flying past the booth in 3rd hahaha. And trust me, I caught the bug many years ago when I took my 06 V6 to Thunderhill. I am already trying to get back to t-hill this weekend.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Ther're f**kin' race tracks! And street cars are too loud!?
What happens when they hold real races there? Come out east, no problems like that here...tho I am concerned with all the houses being built near Summit Point in West Virginia-at least they're West Virginians and like stuff loud. :D

wheelhopper

Established Member
I just got back from VIR and there was a guy there with a new 5.0. He is in group 1 though so I did not get to see how the car did, but it is nice to see them starting to show up at the track. Looks like I better add another 100rwhp to my old school 5.0 if I want to keep up.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member

Hi Jimmy,
I used to frequent LS.
It was in the late 70's when the rotaries and hi revving straight six Datsuns were way too loud. Turbo cars are very quiet compared...
You need ear protection.. BS

No housing within miles of the track. So the db level may just be a track rule and not because somebody bitched and moaned about the noise level.
Jeff

Last edited:

Maynor

Established Member
I just got back from VIR and there was a guy there with a new 5.0. He is in group 1 though so I did not get to see how the car did, but it is nice to see them starting to show up at the track. Looks like I better add another 100rwhp to my old school 5.0 if I want to keep up.

Ha! I was paddock'ed next to him. I briefly got to talk to him. Seemed like a nice guy. I rented a new 5.0 Auto without the brembo's for a track event a month ago. The six speed and the brembo's would have taken care of 2 out of 3 issue's I had with the car but the power was dead on perfect.

I can't wait to try one on track with a six speed and brembo's one of these days.

John
E36 LS2

shlbygt

Established Member
Hi Jimmy,

No housing within miles of the track. So the db level may just be a track rule and not because somebody bitched and moaned about the noise level.
Jeff
There is a housing developement /golf course 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from the track. Since Laguna is a county park, the county is the one who sets the sound rules.
Ther're f**kin' race tracks! And street cars are too loud!?
What happens when they hold real races there? Come out east, no problems like that here...tho I am concerned with all the houses being built near Summit Point in West Virginia-at least they're West Virginians and like stuff loud. :D

Laguna has 5 or 6 "open" sound days for the major race weekends. Then there are another handful of dates that are above 92db but less than a certain db level that I don't remember. Sound is the main reason Skip Barber is running the driving school at Laguna instead of Jim Russell. When the contract renewal for the school was up for bids, Skippy bid his school at a reduced db level which made the track happy, even though Russell had been there for years.
I believe the school cars added extra mufflers to meet the goal.

Now Sears Point's noise issue is due to one old woman who lives about 1/2 to 3/4 miles away on a vineyard. She supposedly has a monitor in the house that shows db levels and video of the offender. When she finds a violator, she calls the track and that person is black flagged.
Even ThunderHill Park which is out in the middle of nowhere has a 102 db limit which the track has to monitor to satisfy it's use permit.

As for the east coast, try going to NJMP with out of date harnesses or an open face helmet and no goggles. The state police enforce the track safety rules there as part of the vehicle code. Better not speed in the paddock or pit road or it could cost you.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/racing_regulations.pdf

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
....The state police enforce the track safety rules there as part of the vehicle code. Better not speed in the paddock or pit road or it could cost you.

That reminds me of something funny from my youth. I road raced motorcycles for 13 years back in the 70s and 80s. WERA, the sanctioning body, was starting to experiment with endurance racing during that time. One of the races we were in was a 24 hour race at Charlotte (now Lowes). WERA had the track's permission for running all night, but apparently not the local/county's approval. About midnight, here comes a NC Trooper, pulling onto the front straight, lights and all. "Boys, just what the hell y'all think you're doin' hea?" :nono:

After some officials got involved, we were allowed to continue. Only time I ever saw a cop pull over racers on a race track. :lol:

AmnDucky

Established Member
There is a housing developement /golf course 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from the track. Since Laguna is a county park, the county is the one who sets the sound rules.

Laguna has 5 or 6 "open" sound days for the major race weekends. Then there are another handful of dates that are above 92db but less than a certain db level that I don't remember. Sound is the main reason Skip Barber is running the driving school at Laguna instead of Jim Russell. When the contract renewal for the school was up for bids, Skippy bid his school at a reduced db level which made the track happy, even though Russell had been there for years.
I believe the school cars added extra mufflers to meet the goal.

Now Sears Point's noise issue is due to one old woman who lives about 1/2 to 3/4 miles away on a vineyard. She supposedly has a monitor in the house that shows db levels and video of the offender. When she finds a violator, she calls the track and that person is black flagged.
Even ThunderHill Park which is out in the middle of nowhere has a 102 db limit which the track has to monitor to satisfy it's use permit.

As for the east coast, try going to NJMP with out of date harnesses or an open face helmet and no goggles. The state police enforce the track safety rules there as part of the vehicle code. Better not speed in the paddock or pit road or it could cost you.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/racing_regulations.pdf
Thats just not right.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
hopefully i won't start having probs with my noise level on tracks-my cars is REALLY loud- I have to yell at the top of my lungs to say anything to a passenger

Users who are viewing this thread