Brembo dust boots

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I know we've discussed in this forum how the PBR's dust boots fry and are sometimes gone altogether. I'm wondering if it's the same for Brembos.

I was changing back to my street pads today, and found something I need help with. My Brembos have the usual burned dust pads like everyone. But pulling out the pads, one of my dust pads fell completely out. See pics below. Is this a problem? Does the unburned part protect anything? Do I need to try and put it back in?

This car sees some street driving, but the only rain is on the track. And very little of that.

Any help appreciated.

IMG_01.gif

IMG_02.gif

IMG_03.gif

David Hester

Established Member
Greg
This is a delimma. The rubber boots will burn and crack away. I ran without any for a race or two a few years back, but then decided IF :eek: I took a ride through the dirt/ gravel pit/ sand pit, I could get grime and grit in on the piston.
Not good, if I had any plans on slowing or stopping anywhere else on course. They usually last a season, so replacing them just became something I did every winter.
Replace them?
You gotta ask yourself.
Am I feeling lucky?
Well do ya, Punk?:dw:

How bad do you need your brakes?;-)

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I need 'em bad, Dave. And I've never felt lucky. LOL
Guess I'll look into replacement boots. They seem like they'd be easy enough to push in.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I fried mine right off during my first season on the Brembos. I never replaced them, I never had issues with grit, and there was never a leak of any kind....and I was putting enough heat into them to burn the logo paint right off.

David Hester

Established Member
I ran with just the remnants of the boots on (figured that would catch the big stuff) and didn't really think about it much, till I cleaned out the floorboard and found all kinds of gravel and grit, even with no offs. Thought HmmMMMmmmm. Where else is grit going?
They come off and go in real easy when checking pads.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I fried mine right off during my first season on the Brembos. I never replaced them, I never had issues with grit, and there was never a leak of any kind....and I was putting enough heat into them to burn the logo paint right off.

^ + 1

This is why true race calipers have no dust boots. :read::idea:

Users who are viewing this thread